Map Folding

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 7 months

The new East England 1:250000 map was delivered to me yesterday*, rolled not folded, and I wondered what views people had about the 'correct' way to fold their maps.

Were you taught to fold it laterally into thirds and concertina across?

*With thanks to the wonderful Transair subscription system

Original post

Member for

18 years 11 months

The correct way to fold it is concertina. But really you can fold it anyway you want, but concertina is supposed to be the best way to fold it if you dont want to damage it.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Thanks A225HVY. The links are great. Any instruction that includes going to the pub is OK by me!

Another method I have been shown by a hugely-experience military instructor is:
~ open the map to the full
~ fold back any part of the map which is not in your route, so you only have your route showing
~ fold that to a convenient size for the cockpit
~ Don't be afraid to create diagonal folds.

Member for

20 years 7 months

I just open mine out fully, and fold it so my route is showing but making sure I include the closest VORs North, South, East & West incase I need a position fix, and like you said up there Janie just ensuring it's a nice size to manage in the cockpit. :)

Dean

Member for

24 years 2 months

I always use this method.....:)

http://www.rochesterairport.flyer.co.uk/chartfld.htm

or this one

A225HVY

Yes, that's the famous Duncan McKillop fold. Great bloke, was a student at Wellesbourne just a little after me and devised a method of folding a chart that makes it simple to access any portion of it, even in a cramped cabin.

Never use anything else.

Moggy

Member for

24 years 2 months

The new East England 1:250000 map was delivered to me yesterday

Hi Janie,

Why the quarter mill rather than the half?

Moggy

Member for

19 years 11 months

Hi Janie,

Moggy

I prefer the 1/4mil ISO 1/2mil for local area flying longer distance revert back to 1/2mil!! :D

A225HVY

Member for

24 years 2 months

I use the half mil. Usually fold it in half laterally, with the map facing outside on both sides, and then concertina fold. This way it's easy to store, and has some standard folds in it, which I then use as guidelines when I fold it for whatever flight I'm making.

When I'm folding for a flight, I use a variation of what Janie's ex-mil instructor friend uses. I open up one concertina so that I'm seeing two widths (reversing the folds if necessary), then I'll fold back the top and bottom, tucking one into the other at the back and securing with a couple of bulldog clips. I then end up with a map that's flat, A4 sized, solid enought to stuff down the side of my seat, and has my entire route shown on it.

For local area flying, I also have an obsolete copy of the half mil chart cut to size with Cambridge at it's centre, in a clear plastic wallet together with a sick bag and a copy of my pre-flight briefing - this is purely for passenger use, and I find the map copy really does help my passengers feel as though they are part of the flight.

Member for

24 years 2 months

They key to folding is this. **Leave a gap** Do not make your folds exactly 50% otherwise everything then bunches up.

I fold in quarters.

Member for

20 years

I always start my maps with the very best of intentions, to cherish and protect them for all time.

Then they end up getting borrowed to make (for instance) an impromtu cockpit cover for a Tiger Moth parked out in a monsoon, or to wrap up some airfield-fresh mushrooms, or repelling aggressive insects, and sometimes for looking at, to see where I have been.

Member for

20 years 6 months

I was looking at my quarter-mil yesterday morning, and thought 'ooh, it'll be time for a new one then' ... when the postman knocked on the door and delivered it!

So they'll supply them rolled as well. Coo. They've always sent mine folded, but I much prefer them rolled. I'll have to give them a call.

Member for

19 years 9 months

Hello,

Well... sounds strange (stupid?) but I did not know there were recognised/proper methods to fold charts. Thanks for the links. I happen to have done more or less the same as the first one, except that I do refold the chart for certain flights some times... But I make sure I do that at home and never in the cockpit.
Steph

Member for

20 years

The correct way to fold it is concertina. But really you can fold it anyway you want, but concertina is supposed to be the best way to fold it if you dont want to damage it.

How would you know, may i ask?

Member for

24 years 2 months

How would you know, may i ask?

I worked with MOD mapping and this was taught as the "correct" method! However with a "free" supply, some tend to cut out the piece required ! :eek: !

Member for

20 years 4 months

Another method I have been shown by a hugely-experience military instructor is:
~ open the map to the full
~ fold back any part of the map which is not in your route, so you only have your route showing
~ fold that to a convenient size for the cockpit
~ Don't be afraid to create diagonal folds.

Janie,

That preference is because you and I pay for his maps as taxpayers. You would cry at the sight of wastepaper baskets in RAF Operations flight planning facilities. Sheer extravagent vandalism IMHO.......!!!!!

Cheers,

Trapper 69
:diablo: :diablo: :diablo: :dev2: :dev2: :dev2: :mad:

Member for

20 years 7 months

Because I love to navigate, so the more detail I have the better. I didn't like them the first time I used them, but was then forced to use one from Cranfield to Culdrose - that gave me plenty of time to fall in love with it.

Member for

20 years 7 months

They key to folding is this. **Leave a gap** Do not make your folds exactly 50% otherwise everything then bunches up.
Here, here.

Propstrike: I quit chrerishing my maps a long time ago. It's just not practical, as you already have worked out. I love your alternate uses.

But I make sure I do that at home and never in the cockpit.
I'm sure a diversion, one day, will put paid to that!

Trapper: The best thing I ever saw my tax money spent on was when the Tornado Display ground crew at Biggin Hill '95 decided they would all buy Viking helmets complete with long blond plaits. That was quality entertainment. The CO disagreed!

Member for

20 years 4 months

Janie,
You may not have met all my alter ego relatives on the airshow circuit yet such as Sheik Yasser Verifat RJAF retd, Captain Wyatt Werp USN retd, Colonel Ivor Bolokov SovAF retd and Major Ritter von Shiessenhausen ex-Luftwaffe. All trumped by the thought of the Tornado crew in Viking helmets; presumably modified Alpha Mark 4's in order to provide standard RAF electrics for the radios....!!!
Cheers,
Trapper 69
I can well imagine the squadron CO having a sense of humour failure - shame really.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Janie: You may not have met all my alter ego relatives ...
Oh yes I have! I do hope some are still alive and perhaps there may be more to follow.
Which one of your relatives was it that flew off in the Tiger Moth without his instructor. I did enjoy that.

Member for

20 years 4 months

They all did at one time or another however it is difficult these days to get hold of a Tiger for the routine. All the previously available machines are busy doing "trial leesons...??" and are on transport category CofA's. Ah well. The last one I flew the act in was one of Classic Wings Tiger's at a Duxford show however Trevor B*****r was last seen taking his umpteenth valium and hiding under one of his Rapides so that seems to have put the schackles on. Our Skybolt would be absolutely lethal for the routine having a much higher stalling speed coupled with far less benign low speed handling which is the essence of the act. Perhaps I should transfer my allegiance to a Cub since that type is another classic well suited to the routine. Jeanne, are you listening...........????
Cheers,
Trapper 69
PS - Post 9/11 I deemed it best to retire Yasser especially when wearing the Arab gear particularly if performing at any USAF venue. Their sense of humour was always a bit lacking and my own a little bizarre.