Skybolt Restored

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 5 months

A friend has finally gotten his Skybolt homebuilt (not by him) in the air following an extensive restoration.
His regular plane is a very nice Beech Bonanza 36 (the first one produced in fact) so it's good to see a high flyer get into grass roots aviation.
He's shown receiving some dual tailwheel time before going solo.
Thanks to Ryan for the pictures...

Attachments
Original post

Member for

20 years

What a lovely looking aircraft.
Do you have any before pictures?
Thanks
OAW

I though the thread was about Trapper69 initially!!!

Member for

20 years 4 months

I though the thread was about Trapper69 initially!!!

No one would take on a restoration on something that far gone!!!!

Member for

20 years 5 months

As with many other ancient artifacts my condition requires no restoration -(IMHO)......!!!
Cheers,
Trapper 69

Member for

20 years

Just a bit of touching at the edges to cover the wear and tear?

Member for

20 years 5 months

Promises, promises..............!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers,
Trapper 69

Member for

24 years 3 months

I parked two a/c from Trapper's Skybolt at Leicester on Sunday. Are you based there?

Member for

20 years 5 months

Based there since 1997 as the Leicestershire Aero Club is excellent. The aerodrome has a multiplicity of both hard and grass runways with good hangarage. My first visit to Leicester was in 1963 and I was CFI there from 1980 to 1984. Lots of happy memories and good friends.
Cheers,
Trapper 69
PS - Malcolm's nosh is another great attraction - his soups sublime and curries cracking.....!!!

Member for

24 years 3 months

I have to agree. On a facility-cost basis, it competes well with our three other local airfields (Sywell, Wellesbourne and Turweston).

Member for

19 years 5 months

What a lovely looking aircraft.
Do you have any before pictures?
Thanks
OAW

Sadly no. Suffice to say it was a pretty sorry mess. Long out of annual and looking forlorn. New paint is only the most visable change....the mechanical, fuel and electircal systems..were also improved.
Should be a lot of fun.

Member for

20 years

That's the thing with restorations sometimes isn't it - you only see what's on the outside... Never the full extent inside. If the exterior is anything to go by from the pictures the inside will be outstanding too.

If you ever get to see Zlin G-EJGO check out the quality of the work inside the cockpit too... It went back to a place next to the Zlin works and was refurbished...

Is the Skybolt US or UK based?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Was G-TURN ever restored following its prang a few years back?

Member for

20 years

Think G-TURN is close to being fixed now if she's not already up and about.
Can't remember where she's being fixed but I recall seeing a picture somewhere..

Member for

24 years 3 months

Very nice looking machine. I had a good gawp at TURN when dropping off the BlueRobin for a 50hr check at Akki, Turweston during my PPL. Stroll on 18 months later and it's languishing down the back of beyond (same airfield) next the joiner's shed clearly pranged, covered in dust and guano languishing next to an even sadder looking Miles Messie (ex-HP).

Member for

24 years 3 months

G-TURN is a fantastic machine and was the first of a number of aircraft built / rebuilt by a very talented engineer and warbird owner.
G-TURN was last spotted in one piece at Sywell on 15th March.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Is the Skybolt US or UK based?

It's based here in Washington state.
I'm happy to have found a group of old airplane buffs.
What's been especially nice is that hey're all great people, helping each other with projects and generally sharing their time and toys.

The field has more than a half dozen Stearmans, a rare Stearman "Senior Speedmail" mail plane, A Beech Staggerwing, a Howard DGA, A T-6, various Cubs & Super Cubs, a Helio Courier on floats...and spending the winter in a warm hangar...a genuine 1918 Curtiss Canuck (Canadian Jenny). They're planning a antiuque fly-in later...I'll try to post some photos.

Member for

20 years 5 months

I thought I would post my website URL to give folk a chance to see our fine Skybolt.
Cheers,
Trapper 69
www.tempest.ndo.co.uk
:cool:

Member for

24 years 3 months

G-TURN, last month

Attachments

Member for

20 years

The field has more than a half dozen Stearmans, a rare Stearman "Senior Speedmail" mail plane, A Beech Staggerwing, a Howard DGA, A T-6, various Cubs & Super Cubs, a Helio Courier on floats...and spending the winter in a warm hangar...a genuine 1918 Curtiss Canuck (Canadian Jenny). They're planning a antiuque fly-in later...I'll try to post some photos

Nice... Some real aeroplanes...
Look forward to seeing the pictures.

Good company for G-TURN there - A Pitts, Jungmann and Stearman.... (The wing tip elludes me!!!)

Member for

24 years 3 months

The wingtip is a Chipmunk. Also sharing the hanger at the time was a P51 and another Chipmunk.

Member for

19 years

G-Turn is now finished and has been flown by owner, awaiting return to Turweston