Flying Schools in Norfolk

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 2 months

I have been contemplating learning to fly for a long while and now find myself in the happy position where I can afford the time and lessons.

The problem is there seems to be a lot of conflicting advice when you telephone different schools.

Can anyone help with advice/suggestions and help recommending a reputable flying school in Norfolk or Suffolk.

Thanks
Melanie

Original post

Member for

20 years 3 months

Your best bet is to drop in and visit them. Speak to the instructors and ask them questions. You will be able to tell which ones are being "salesman-like" and which ones are genuine. Remember the flashest ones don't always give the best service and cheapest is not always best. If they tell you they can get you through your PPL in the exact number of hours go somewhere else, if they tell you that you need to pay in advance, go somewhere else.

Lastly, although the internet is a good resource, take everything anyone tells you about how good or bad a school is with a pinch of salt. Use it as a starting point to find out more, not a cast-iron recommendation as there are going to be people who have fallen out with the good schools and those that did well at the bad.

Having said that I am sure you will get some good pointers on here as there are a couple of people that inhabit the wild mountainous regions of Norfolk on here!

MH

Member for

24 years 2 months

Hi Melanie,

Though I live in Norfolk I can give you only general advice since I trained before I moved here.

How to choose a flying school.

1) Check distances and times to all the available flying schools. The closer it is, the more convenient it is, especially when you've driven to the school for a lesson and it's cancelled because of weather, or aircraft/instructor non-availability.

2) Visit each of them in person, explain what you want and see how you are treated. It is almost certain that from this procedure you will select one or two favourites. If you get fobbed-off, ignored, made to feel unwelcome on your first visit it might be that they are having a bad day, but more likely that is the sort of treatment you will get when you are handing over thousands of your tax-paid, hard-earned cash to them. Walk away.

3) If you have narrowed it down to two or three then book yourself a thirty minute trial lesson with each of them. Insist on it being the instructor you will largely train with. This is not an extravagance, you can buy a log-book after your first flight, log the times and get each instructor to sign it. This way, every minute will count towards the 45 hours required before you can get your PPL

4) Don't be intimidated. You are the customer and you want value.

5) Decide on enjoyability, never price. 45 hours can seem like a very long time if you end up with a surly instructor who you can't relate to. The saving almost certainly isn't worth it.

6) Finally: Don't forget to enjoy it, even the trial flights. The PPL isn't a hurdle to be 'got over' before you can fly. It is the first (and amongst the most enjoyable) step in your flying life. If it isn't fun (challenging, frustrating, baffling, but still fun) it just isn't the hobby for you.

Local knowledge

Having said you shouldn't decide on price, I know there is an issue with learning at Norwich since the students are charged landing fees, whereas at many of the smaller fields (Old Buckenham for instance) these are included in the price you pay. It's not just one landing at the end of the day either, if you are practising circuits you will rack-up six or eight of these in an hour.

Good luck, ask for more help if necessary, keep us updated. We all like to share the experiences of new students.

Moggy

Member for

20 years 3 months

Melanie

Check your PMs.

AF

Member for

19 years 5 months

I have been contemplating learning to fly for a long while and now find myself in the happy position where I can afford the time and lessons.

The problem is there seems to be a lot of conflicting advice when you telephone different schools.

Can anyone help with advice/suggestions and help recommending a reputable flying school in Norfolk or Suffolk.

Thanks
Melanie

Mel, One of my formation guys, Dale has a flying school at Norwich, an excellent pilot and instructor, many people have commented that he is very patient as an instructor. He is not an hour builder and doesn't want to fly airliners!!
The lessons include landing fees and are around the same price as the smaller fields although of course at norwich you get to mix it with the 'big boys'!!
If there are circuits to be done, he does a quick transit to beccles where he has an arrangement at minimal cost.
The aircraft are in excellent condition, well maintained and they are his own.
I am often in and around Norwich so if you fancy a bit of 'front seat' Stearman time, I'm sure we could sort something out...

DB

Member for

19 years 2 months

Thanks Melvyn, Moggy, AF and Dave,

That should all help me quite a lot.

When are you going to be at Norwich Dave? I would love a ride with you in your Stearman, You guys are great, another guy called Phil Earthy has offered me the chance to see his Harvard. Do you know him at all? I can't wait to meet you guys and start learning to fly.
What colour is your Stearman?
Can you PM me with your Norwich friends details please?

Melanie

Member for

19 years 5 months

Thanks Melvyn, Moggy, AF and Dave,

That should all help me quite a lot.

When are you going to be at Norwich Dave? I would love a ride with you in your Stearman, You guys are great, another guy called Phil Earthy has offered me the chance to see his Harvard. Do you know him at all? I can't wait to meet you guys and start learning to fly.
What colour is your Stearman?
Can you PM me with your Norwich friends details please?

Melanie

Yup, PM sent.

Stearman is blue and yellow, for pics do a google search for G-NZSS, plenty on there, also futureshox.org has aviation pics, search rougham and elmsett for formation pics (dale is flying the Yak).

Yes I do know Phil Earthey, he also flies at Dale's place as does his girlfriend...

DB

Member for

24 years 2 months

Stearman is blue and yellow, for pics do a google search for G-NZSS,
DB

Nice aircraft. I flew that when it was at Swanton. :)

Moggy

Member for

20 years 3 months

Nice aircraft. I flew that when it was at Swanton. :)

Moggy

Yes, I remember Stearmans at Swanton, particularly one that taxied on the "wrong" side of the airfield (ie the circuit/side being used by the VGS)! Cones were laid down the middle of the runway to ensure that powered a/c and gliders kept to their "own" repective sides and didn't mix when the VGS was operating! Unfortunately, on this occasion, I don't think the visiting pilot had been fully briefed and he landed on "his" side, and proceeded to taxi straight through the cones and across the gliding side to the control tower where he though he should have been (instead of the Flying Club on the other side of the airfield). Martin Shaw and a few others suddenly appeared to sort the problem and I had to get him to follow me around the peri-track (doing my best "follow me" impressions!) back to the flying club. Halcyon days - I think the bloody army have planted trees on the airfield now - a criminal waste of the then largest grass airfield in Northern Europe, I believe! :mad:

Member for

24 years 2 months

So both Swanton airfield sites are dead then?

Member for

19 years 2 months

Just been looking at pictures of your Stearman on the futureshox website. What a nice looking aircraft. Can't wait to see it for real, when can I see it then?

Phil didn't tell me he had a girlfriend when he said we could go to Leicstershire to see his Harvard! :confused:

Who's is the Yak and what is the other little aeroplane?

Member for

19 years 5 months

Just been looking at pictures of your Stearman on the futureshox website. What a nice looking aircraft. Can't wait to see it for real, when can I see it then?

Phil didn't tell me he had a girlfriend when he said we could go to Leicstershire to see his Harvard! :confused:

Who's is the Yak and what is the other little aeroplane?

BR - yes both sides of swanton have been closed to flying for a few years now - the T2 was used for furniture storage I believe. There was a small rumour, recently, that a group from another Norfolk airfield were going to resurrect the place but I don't know of any progress.

Melh, will PM to sort a convenient time, probably mid feb if its not too cold!!!
Yak is being flown by dale and its based at Norwich, the other aircraft is a Cassutt racer, based in Suffolk.
Sorry, I'm not in a position to comment on PE

DB

Member for

20 years 3 months

BR - yes both sides of swanton have been closed to flying for a few years now - the T2 was used for furniture storage I believe. There was a small rumour, recently, that a group from another Norfolk airfield were going to resurrect the place but I don't know of any progress.

DB

There was a short grass strip cut outside the peri-track, but as Dave suggests, I don't think it is used now(?)

Member for

19 years 5 months

There was a short grass strip cut outside the peri-track, but as Dave suggests, I don't think it is used now(?)

Local airfields might know more - Shipdham or Lt Snoring....

Member for

24 years 2 months

That's still listed in a very recent flight guide I bought the other day. Next time I'm over Moggy's way I'll give them a call.

Back on topic, E Anglia has many, many unlicensed airfields. Just shame about the number of licensed ones!

Member for

24 years 2 months

I think I've seen G-NZSS at Leicester in the past. I'll see if I can find photos.

Ah, just remembered that photo posting is down.

Neal

Member for

24 years 2 months

You can still post photos from other websites. Ladies and gentleman (I leave you guessing who the latter is ;) ), presenting the aforementioned Stearman.

http://www.ukskies.co.uk/INDIVIDUAL%20AIRCRAFT/G-NAAA%20TO%20NZZZ/images/G-NZSS.jpg

Ta-da!

Member for

19 years 2 months

That's still listed in a very recent flight guide I bought the other day. Next time I'm over Moggy's way I'll give them a call.

Back on topic, E Anglia has many, many unlicensed airfields. Just shame about the number of licensed ones!

Much as I think Dave's Stearman is gorgeous and am looking forward to the 12th (thanks for the phone call Dave), and much as I am interested in the numbers of unlicensed airfields in Norfolk, the topic was actually about flying schools Bluerobin! :rolleyes:

Member for

19 years 4 months

It certainly was a couple of years ago - some guy was leasing it. Couldn't say whether it is now though.

Member for

19 years 2 months

I have just started lessons in Norwich with Dale. I have done 8 hours so far and am getting close to first solo.
Landing fees really arent as much of a problem as people think. As even with a landing fee the price is about £25 cheaper than other local airfields. Like Dave said he is very very patient and can be thoroughly recommended!
Dont let him cook you beans on toast though!
Last bit of advice melanie is watch out for that Mr Barrell Ive met him! :dev2:

Member for

24 years 2 months

... and much as I am interested in the numbers of unlicensed airfields in Norfolk, the topic was actually about flying schools Bluerobin! :rolleyes:

Suprisingly close to being on-topic. You can't learn from an unlicenced field, hence the number of licenced fields is very relevant to your query.

Moggy