Radial engines vs inline engines..

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 4 months

I've been following the overhaul of our Wasp engine for 8 months and needless to say I fell in love with it: since we opened it for inspection everything was so well preserved that the biggest things we needed to change were inlet valves! There are lots of pros and cons of a radial engine, and same goes for the inline engines. So what's your aviation philosophy: Radial or inline? ;)

Alex

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Inverted in-line is my thing ;) :D

Member for

24 years 3 months

I loved flying a big radial, even if it did need pulling through nine blades every time and was still in danger of hydraulic locking itself to death shortly thereafter.

Now I doubt I could afford it so I'm suddenly a Lycoming fan :)

But in truth, that M14P Vedneyev made such a great noise :)))))

Moggy

Member for

19 years 4 months

U know, radials are as aerodynamic as a brickwall, they burn oil like anything, they're loud and u have no visibility but... well they're awesome! :)
Have been working with Gipsy Majors for several years, really nice but they need so many attentions!

Alex

Member for

24 years 3 months

They don't only burn oil, they chuck huge quantities of it back down the airframe.

An hour's flying, two hours' cleaning :(

Moggy

Member for

19 years 4 months

eheheheh we have the long exhaust, so our fuselage won't be that oily ;)

Alex

Member for

24 years 3 months

They don't only burn oil, they chuck huge quantities of it back down the airframe.

An hour's flying, two hours' cleaning :(

Moggy

Well, I don't know what oil you were using. On the YAK55, we had this problem shortly after we got it. All covered in Oil, a real pain :eek: We were using W15/50 synthetic oil. After a short discusstion we decided to try some old stuff on it, and put in SAE 100 oil (summer) and SAE 80 (winter). These are also known as 100 weight and 80 weight oil respectively. The oil mess down the fuselage all but stopped.

Member for

19 years 6 months

eheheheh we have the long exhaust, so our fuselage won't be that oily ;)

Alex

Unfortunately the long exhaust wont stop the oil that gets slung out of every nook and cranny right at the front - which then gets blown back in the slipstream. Having been around radials for most of my flying life, the only one I've seen that doesn't leak, doesn't fly!!

Member for

19 years 4 months

Well, I don't know what oil you were using. On the YAK55, we had this problem shortly after we got it. All covered in Oil, a real pain :eek: We were using W15/50 synthetic oil. After a short discusstion we decided to try some old stuff on it, and put in SAE 100 oil (summer) and SAE 80 (winter). These are also known as 100 weight and 80 weight oil respectively. The oil mess down the fuselage all but stopped.

U had a Yak55?? We have some friends here who own 3 Yak52 and 1 Yak55, and I've seen them doing some crazy stuff with that 55!
Dave I know, at least it wont get into the wheel bay area, but of course the long exhaust is not the solution... Oh well, I love oil fragrance! :)

Alex

Member for

24 years 3 months

Too long ago to remember. I think it was Straight 80

Moggy

Member for

19 years 4 months

galdri do u have them already overhauled and/or u have any experience on the Gipsies? They're one of a kind engines u know? :)
I guess u have the Miles Gemini version with Gipsy Major, right?

Alex

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yes the Gemini has the Gipsy Majors, was modified by Miles in 1952. I've not even got the engines for the aircraft :( At the moment I'm not too conserned about it, as I've got mountains of work to complete before they can go in. But if you happen to know of any Gipsy Series 10 Mk.10-1 or -3 laying around, give me a shout, will you!

Member for

19 years 4 months

well it's not something u find everyday, but considering the relevant number of Gipsy powered aeroplanes still flying it shouldnt be that hard to find :)

Alex

Member for

24 years 3 months

No the engines are not hard to find, they do however carry a price tag that is a bit out of my limits at the moment :eek: Am just about to move house, and that is one EXPENSIVE operation :(

A Gipsy Major, overhauled by a reputable company will set you back approx. 18-20.000 Pounds Sterling. And I'll need two of those!

Member for

20 years 1 month

Radial, the bigger the better...

Twin row, 18 cyl., 3350 cu. inches and 3000 hp. Marvelous.

You know what they call in-line engines at Reno? Time bombs.

Stew Dawson has SEVEN consecutive Reno Air Races on his engine, and it's still going strong.

Attachments

Member for

24 years 3 months

A Sea Fury is supposed to have a five blade prop, doesn't it ;) :D

Member for

20 years 1 month

She thinks she's a Tempest II...

Member for

19 years 4 months

whatever she thinks she is, she's a beaut!!! :)

Alex

Member for

20 years 4 months

She thinks she's a Tempest II...

And its owner thinks he is five feet ten

Member for

20 years 1 month

Hey, I'm tall. Tall-ish. Sorta.

Well I'm tall in China...

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hey, I'm tall. Tall-ish. Sorta.

Tell them the truth Steve.

You were a six foot eight basketball playing collossus until you started pulling really heavy G in the Hawker :rolleyes:

Moggy