Turbulance

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 7 months

Alright all?

I recently had my worst encounter with turbulance, interseting it was!

It started with me at 2k and rising to 2.4k, could I stop going up? No, I reduced power, nose down, still nothing, then we started getting pitched, rolled and threw about. My head was bouncing off of the ceiling and I kept thinking how much more can this tail take? I made a right turn towards the field which took me over some high ground, it rises to 1.7k, I was at 2.5k and the height started winding down, so I opened the power to climb, nothing happened. I had the nose set at climb attitude, 70kt IAS and full power and we were losing 50fpm!!! after about 3mins we were out of it and landed happily back home.

All of this was at night :eek: , I've just completed my night rating.

Question is how much force can the wings / tail take before there would be any chance of structural damage? If you keep it at rough air speed is it near impossible for structural damage?

DME

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

I hate giving advice in these situations in case it's wrong.

You can't generalise on 'how much can an airframe take' every one, even within the same type, is different. And if I said to you "+4g -2g" it is still not a very helpful answer as you have no way of measuring the stresses anyway.

But I do believe the thing that has to be avoided is rapid, full range control surface movements / reversals. Don't slam the stick / yoke right over in a counter-controlling movement, particularly if you have any sort of speed on at all.

It sounds really scary - but at least you've come through it.

Moggy

Member for

19 years 7 months

I hate giving advice in these situations in case it's wrong.

You can't generalise on 'how much can an airframe take' every one, even within the same type, is different. And if I said to you "+4g -2g" it is still not a very helpful answer as you have no way of measuring the stresses anyway.

But I do believe the thing that has to be avoided is rapid, full range control surface movements / reversals. Don't slam the stick / yoke right over in a counter-controlling movement, particularly if you have any sort of speed on at all.

It sounds really scary - but at least you've come through it.

Moggy

Yeah, it is hard to answer. All you can to is reduce speed and let it rock and roll and keep the fingers crossed ;)

DME

Member for

24 years 3 months

You may ask why over a built up area, well if you go left you have some lakes and marsh land.

So are you saying that the preferred choice for a forced landing is a built-up area, rather than marshland?

Moggy

Member for

19 years 7 months

So are you saying that the preferred choice for a forced landing is a built-up area, rather than marshland?

Moggy

I'm beginning to question this NPPL or at least the training content.

DME

Member for

19 years 5 months

I'm beginning to question this NPPL or at least the training content.

DME

Me too and I did one!!!!

Member for

20 years 11 months

You'll break before the airplane. All you can do when it gets that bad is slow to Manuevering speed and try to maintain attitude not altitude. You'll see some impressive rates on the VSI (both +/-) but do what you can to ride them out. You can overstress the airplane if you start pushing the airplane to maintain altitude.

Member for

24 years 3 months

You'll break before the airplane.
Regrettably not true.

I'll see if I can dig up the AAIB report of the recent 'rapid control reversal' accident to a UK spamcan.

Moggy

Member for

21 years 1 month

don't try and 'chase' the instruments, especially the VSI

Member for

19 years 7 months

Fortunately I carried it out like all of you have said - keep good airspeed and no large control inputs (possibly no control inputs)

I was wondering if the turbelence alone would over stress the airframe, not large control inputs. I'm aware that this would just place more stress on it.

Moggy C I remember reading a AAIB report where a PA-28? lost control and everyone on board died. I think the front seat passenger pulled on the yoke when they were turning around to talk to a passenger in the rear, this placed the plane into a dive and a roll. The pilot instinctively tried to pull out of it and roll level, but one of the wings snapped downwards sending it into the ground.

DME

Member for

24 years 3 months

That's the one I remember too.

Moggy

Member for

24 years 3 months

From memory the report was published late last summer / early winter, scary stuff

Member for

19 years 7 months

After reading that report I now always make sure I tell passenger to leave the Yoke / Pedals well alone!

DME