CAA IMC RATING?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 4 months

Hi All,

Currently have a PPL and am doing distance learning ATPL ground school.

I was advised by a CFI that it might be worth doing a CAA IMC rating as it would be good grounding for the future when doing the JAA IR.

However I am not sure as its not hours that are towards the IR as its 15 hours of training.

Is it worth doing or just logging the 15 hours instead towards hour building as P1?

Cheers

Sean

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hi All,

Is it worth doing or just logging the 15 hours instead towards hour building as P1?

Cheers

Sean

It seems to me you are weighing the cost difference between 15 hours solo hire and 15 hours instructional hire (Usually a £10 or so differential at most clubs) against your CFI's suggestion that it would be worthwhile.

The decision looks simple.

Are you really that short of money that £150 (Equal to 90 minutes average aircraft hire) would affect your progress toward the ATPL??

(Edit) Ah! You mean that you'd have to log the IMC hours as PuT? Tricky.

Moggy

Member for

20 years 8 months

Scallaghan

To be honest mate, whilst studying for the ATPLs I wouldnt recommend undertaking any other form of training / ground exams, Im about to start my ATPLs (should have sponsorship from Pprune) and personally I think it would be better to soley study for these and get them out the way THEN think about hr building, obviously you are going to have to fly to keep current etc but atm Im doing minimum hrs.
Once the ATPLs are out the way then Id say for sure to do the IMC, Im pretty sure none of the IMC hrs count towards the IR but this doesnt matter, you need 150hrs before you can commence CPL training but I dont think these hrs are PIC, and as you cannot get a fATPL issued until you have 200hrs? TT then there are plenty of hrs remaining to use up 15 of them training for the IMC, but bear in mind this is the minimum required and alot of students require more.
Im ploughing through Lasors now to get a definative description

Dean

Scallaghan

Just found this in Lasors mate

Holders of CPL(A) or ATPL(A) issued in accordance
with ICAO (including the JAR-FCL CPL(A)(R)) are
eligible for a 5 hour reduction in training in
accordance with Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 1.205. The
same credit can be applied to applicants who have
completed a JAR CPL(A) modular course of training
(and have met all requirements for CPL(A) licence
issue) but have yet to apply for licence issue
provided that the JAR CPL(A) modular course and
IR(A) modular course are conducted totally
separately from each other, and that there is no
training overlap between the two courses.

This was the only section that applied to using hrs elsewhere, the IMC was not mentioned so you were correct.
Id still do the IMC mate but not until you have done the ATPL

Hope this helps mate

Dean

Member for

19 years 4 months

Thanks Dean

Its not a matter of weighing Cost and logging 15 hours of P/UT. As you now I am spending alot more cash then that.

I am at the point of having to make quite difficult desicions in terms of paths to take.

Those 150 hours, you have to have 100 hours P1 with night rating. Also you need so many cross country hours as apart of the 150 total.

Recently I was in Florida visiting a training school for hour building on a Arrow while over their on holiday. However it turned out that that school wasnt so good for several reasons which I wont say on here and I decided against them having a few extra days off instead.

For certain, I am going to do most of my training here in the U.K after seeing some of the U.S schools or at least consider another country destination such as Australia or New Zealand.

Even though it costs more in the U.K, I feel the level is far better in terms of teaching and standards to help later in the career such as the JAA IR.

Over here I fly out of Goodwood PA28's and a PA28R Arrow.

FYI I am using Bristol Ground School. I signed up with them some time ago and have been working my through module 1 exams. They are very good.

Cheers

Sean

Member for

20 years 8 months

Hi Sean

Which School is it in the USA that you disliked? gwan you can tell ;) I have to go hr building after my ATPLs and input like that is valuable etc.
Do you know what the CAA mean when they state "cross country" flights? is this landaways? or just nav ex's?
Im going with BGS too Sean with or without Pprune (depends if I pass the GAPAN aptitude day and interviews), good luck with yours

Dean

Member for

20 years 8 months

Robert

Not very wise advice tbh, do you know the cost of an IR? do you know how much it costs to hire out a twin for the IR? do you know how much you have to pay the CAA examiner for the IR? if you fail the IR just once then you will pay over and above the whole IMC course, the beauty of the IMC course is that it gives such a good grounding into instrument flying that when you come to do the IR it will help significantly and may even allow you to fly the minimum hrs required to have the IR issued (50 hrs)
Do the IMC, you have nothing to lose but everything to gain

Dean

Member for

19 years 7 months

I have just finished my Night rating and I am now going for my IMC, not only does it build your hours up but you're also learning. I belive it will make the I/R far easier as you will have a grasp of the theory of Instrument Flying.

scallaghan, did you do your CPL with Bristol? I'm just about to start my CPL and would prefer distance learning. What kind of quality is the ATPL course work?

If anybody can recommend any distance learning course please fell free to advise.

DME

Member for

24 years 3 months

However it turned out that that school wasnt so good for several reasons which I wont say on here
Cheers

Sean

Sean,

Can I suggest that a posting that names names, but sticks strictly to the unarguable facts, is both welcome here and could serve to inform others who may have to make similar decisions in the future.

That is one of the great benefits of a forum like this.

Moggy

Member for

20 years 8 months

But its a false economy though Robert, you wont necessarily save time & money, I here what you are saying, I do, but I just cannot see for the life of me why you would want to make the IR harder than it already is, Im going to do my CPL/IR after my ATPLs but I sure as hell am going to do the IMC first :)

D.