Dunno why, but I've always wanted to build or fly...

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 8 months

...one of these!

Ever since seeing Aces High on video!

Attachments
Original post

Member for

19 years 10 months

Showing my age, but it had a similar effect when I saw it at the cinema! In my defence and to prove that I'm not THAT old, I was about 10 or 11 years old at time (1976?).

An everlasting affection for the SE5a has resulted however...

JC

Member for

20 years 8 months

"It's the only, only way, it's the only trick to play
He's the only Hun, you're the only Pup
And he's only getting the wind right up,
So go on and do not stop,
'Til his tail's up near your prop
If he only crashes his side in flames,
Then you'll only know they'll believe your claim.
So keep it right and get on this side
It's the only, only way!"

;)

Member for

20 years 8 months

I suppose this could always be on the Historic Forum... :rolleyes:

Member for

20 years 8 months

Never been up close to a real SE5a (although I did get up to the Stampe made up as one for Aces High), but I do remember seeing one up in Scotland - not only was that the first time I ever saw a representative of the type, it was also the day of my first ever flight!!

Member for

20 years 8 months

Wonder what these "SE5as" are like to fly??

Attachments

Member for

20 years 1 month

Daz, Your photos show two different types, C1904 being essentially a modified Currie Wot (wot?); just add Lewis gun, headrest fairing and bingo, one SE5.

The other one is a rather more sophisticated affair, and is (I think) a Replica Plans example, the first of which to appear in this country being built by Mike Beach and flown from Booker 1978 onwards, G-BDWJ, I think. Since then there have been maybe another 5 or so. They are quite Tiger Moth-ish to fly, apparently.

Mike's example was beautifully built, and was admired by many. One acquaintence dropped numerous hints about how much he fancied a go in it, before finally asking outright ' What would a chap need in his logbook to get his hands on this SE5 ?' . ' The name Mike Beach ' was the reply.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Ah, OK.

According to my web nosing:

'F141' is G-SEVA, which I thought was a Replica Plans one.
Second I think is another, Canadian-built, Replica Plans example.
'C1904' is a modified Wot - G-PFAP
'C3011' is a Currie "Super Wot" - G-SWOT

Member for

20 years 1 month

I will not argue with any of that. Assuming your info is correct, that last one is a pretty good effort, and in that picture at least, looks quite convincing, certainly better than its less-'Super' sibling. So what is a 'Super Wot'? This will end up leading us to the Issac's Fury, and then you know where......

Member for

20 years 8 months

From what I gleaned from the CAA G-INFO stuff, it would seem a bigger engine is fitted - G-SWOT has a Cont. O-200.

Another Super Wot, G-AVEY, has a Pobjoy fitted. http://www.devonstrut.co.uk/pages/gallery/superwot.html

Presumably there'll be some beefing up of the structure to accomodate the larger powerplants?