Rand KR1

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 7 months

Just out of curiosity, but can anyone tell me why there are no Rand KR1s in the UK, but several KR2s??

Original post

Member for

20 years 10 months

KR1 if i remember correctly was the prototype, or atleast very limited number of plans were produced. The KR2 incorporated improvements based on experiences with the KR1. Bear in mind that although the KR2 is said to be a 2 seater it's not really practical as such, a little on the 'cosy side'.
I'm not sure if the KR1 is/was approved by PFA or not.
It's build is along very similar lines to the WAR replicas, wooden box covered in foam and glassfibre.
I have some pics of a KR2 from years ago when I was helping out on a build if they are of any interest.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Yes I'd be interested.

I think the KR2 was a development of the KR1, and the KR1 was not a prototype or one-off, as there have been rather a lot of the smaller planes built, mostly with VW engines.

I've even seen a KR1 done up as a Mustang...!

Member for

20 years 7 months

The aformentioned KR-1 "Mustang"

Attachments

Member for

24 years 2 months

That is... er... sad :o

Moggy

Member for

20 years 7 months

Go on, Moggy, admit it, you want to test-fly it! :D

Member for

20 years 4 months

Oh dear.... :eek:

I'm guessing the shadow under the wing is hiding its 'Fred Flintstone' propulsion system! :D

Member for

19 years 11 months

I'm guessing the shadow under the wing is hiding its 'Fred Flintstone' propulsion system! :D

except you'ld need rather long legs to cruise at 2000ft :)

Daz, having met you even you couldn't fit into that! :eek:

Ken :D

Member for

20 years 7 months

Oh I dunno. Have you never seen the film "Bad Taste"?? They fitted an entire township into some cardboard boxes once they sliced off the fat! :D