Question for R.weaver

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 8 months

I've been reading about your quest to acquire an aircraft (particularly the PA-28) and have to ask - why not build your own aircraft??

There are literally dozens of types out there: plans, kits. What about a part-built project? (Not something that requires restoration, or rebuilding, or renovating - the emphasis on the RE part). That way you won't be spending megabucks on the RE parts if you want your own plane. You'll probably learn a lot from the experience, too.

You seem to have a plentiful supply of greenbacks (dead presidents, whatever), so you can afford to buy plans easily, can't you?

The limit (apart from your wallet) is just what you want from your aircraft!

Original post

Member for

20 years 8 months

Well, there you go! There are at least three, maybe four to choose from (two plans, two kits). Engines vary from Continentals to Chevy V-8s. One of these (the Isaacs) has fixed gear, but it's still a nice kite.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Daz, this looks like a good idea, in theory, and yes, for many pilots, it has been the way to end up with an aeroplane they really want. But the number of part-finished project indicates that it is not for everyone. The people who I have seen make a success of it are very focussed, rational, dedicated types, who are in a position to set aside many hours per week, and with unswerving application see the build through for however many years it takes.

I cannot comment on RW's circumstances, but they appear generally unsettled, and subject to a frequent and total 'volte face'. There may come a time when a homebuilt project would be a reasonable proposition for him, but it is so far in the future, it would be wise not to select one which requires fossil fuels.

The best way forward is to join a group, share the costs ,and benefit from a fund of experience. Stay away from VP props, retracts, twins and anything else likely to deliver big bills. I would suggest something like a Rallye, which may look as if it is laying an egg, but is actually great fun, has outstanding visability, a reasonable cruise, great for small strips, and safe. Do 150 hours in that, and then think about trading up. This has got to be a better option than a decomposing Cherokee, lurking in a nettle patch, or some cut-price 'Classic' from the States, which turns out to be about as ready to fly as the container it was shipped in.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Fair enough point, but he seems pretty determined to have his own kite, come what may.

Sometimes I don't think I'd be able to build the Spit, but then I think about how she'd look in those Mk18 colours, then I think "F*ck yes".

Member for

24 years 3 months

I would suggest something like a Rallye, which may look as if it is laying an egg, but is actually great fun,

That's nailed the aircraft to a T (Not that I've ever had a chance to fly one). :(

:D :D :D :D :D

Moggy

Member for

19 years 8 months

I've always been partial to the RV-4's, and theres the new Radial Rocket, they showed that plane at OshKosh, very nice. Don't know how available it is though, it's seems like their website is down.

just in case it comes back up...
www.radialrocket.com

These kits look like there's a giant portion of it already finished, it would put you ahead of the game. I saw alot of unfinished kits for sale on kitplanes.com.

Member for

20 years 4 months

Of course, this all pre-supposes that making an aeroplane will be within R's budget. Building a kit or making from scratch is no different from rebuilding a project in terms of how much more it will cost than you originally estimate!

MH

Member for

20 years 8 months

But surely the idea behind building from plans is that you buy the parts as and when you can afford to, instead of investing a wad in a substantial portion of aircraft/engine? That's the way I look at it, anyway.

Member for

20 years 4 months

Yes, but young Mr Weaver has just turned 18, would need somewhere to store this all (bedroom?), lots of advice on the best way to go (Weaver/advice - mmmm) and he wants something more immediate. I don't think building is for him at this stage. He is better advised to hang on to his inheritance, starting a project and not finishing it is not a good way to go.

MH

Member for

20 years 8 months

of course he could always purchase someone else's "unfinished" project ;)

The Europa is a nice a/c, I see a few unfinished Europas advertised in the GA mags from time to time

Member for

20 years 8 months

Or if he's looking for a REALLY cheap flyer, but a good 'un for bimbling around the patch, there's been a few Taylor Monos for sale recently - the prototype G-APRT is still for sale at something like £4,900...

Member for

24 years 3 months

Daz, is the spitfirebuilder site yours? If so, then wow!! I never thought there was that many Spitfire replicas available.

If I wanted to build something like that with the intention of flying it, what kind of rules apply to the building of it? It would have to be a plans biult machine, as I couldn't afford a kit.

I've had a crack at restoring old cars, and my fathers a bit of a woodwork genius, so I shouldn't have problems with the practical side.

I'd appreciate some more information/pointers please guys (if it's not too much bother)

Regards
Richard W

Member for

20 years 8 months

Richard

Yeah, that's mine - just over a year old, and 15,000+ hits! :)

I guess the first thing you have to think about is what you want, and then can you afford it? The Isaacs Spit is about the most affordable, but if you want bigger then there's the Jurca MJ10 at 75%. There have been others (2/3rds scale Spitfire XIV by Ross Ferguson for starters) but they're likely to be one-offs, and as such would be unavailable as plans :(

Are you looking to build a Spit yourself then?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Just had a look at that site for myself - that Tally Ho Spit 1 is rather nice... ;)

How's your Isaacs coming along Daz?

Member for

20 years 8 months

Haven't yet made a proper start, Steve, as I had another project offered to me (funnily enough, a rebuild job) but I dunno if I'll go for it. I've at least got one part of it! :D

(courtesy of Bruce at the DH museum! ;))

Attachments

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hi Daz, I wasn't prepared for such a quick reply!!

I know for definite I wouldn't be able to afford a kit, where as I might be able to afford a set of plans and build something at my own pace.

I've not done any serious flying since I was in the air cadets some years ago, but I'm looking to get back into it. I don't have the means to operate a warbird, or buy a GA machine straight out so the homebuild option is looking very appealing. Also, I'd probably have the licence to fly it by the time I'd finished building it!!

If I could have something as easy on the eye as a Spitfire, I'd be very pleased, so maybe... who knows? I'm going to give it some serious thought.

Thanks!
Richard W

Member for

20 years 8 months

Feel free to drop me a line. I'm no expert, but I can try and point you in the right direction!

Member for

20 years 8 months

My mistake, I have just turned 17, I did ajust my profile to 17, why doe's it still say 18? :eek:

Well there y' go. To err is human, to really foul things up takes a computer.