Spitfire 26s

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 8 months

Anyone know if one has fown in the UK yet? A thread over on PPruNe seems to suggest one of them has....

:confused:

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

I make it a rule to have nothing to do with Pprune.

However I have heard elsewhere that there is a Mk26 group potentially forming in East Anglia.

I was a bit uinterested until I heard they were loking for just 4 members, which would put the share price over £15,000.

IMHO this is a nonsense. My Yak group had 10 members, the cost was reasonable and since it was an aircraft that nobody in their right mind would go touring in availability was not a problem. Likewise I suspect, the Mk 26.

Worth keeping an eye on though.

Moggy

Member for

24 years 3 months

Dunno , but I did hear there is a potentially airworthy overpowered wooden 3/4 Spit replica due in the country by Nov the 4th . :)

Member for

20 years 8 months

I wonder which one that is, then..... :D

While we're on the subject, found this beast on airliners.net yesterday...

Attachments

Member for

20 years 1 month

Those scale productions improve by the day Daz. The one on your pic proves that.

Nice!
J.V.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Got a couple more from a French friend (Jean-Pierre Regnault, owner of the "Kurun" homebuilt)

I think this is another Jurca Spit (like HB-YIZ in Switzerland) but no idea what kind of engine she has!

Attachments

Member for

24 years 3 months

I'd love that :)

Pity about the profile of the fin, it just doesn't look right on the pictures. There must be a reason. I wonder what it is?

Moggy

Member for

20 years 8 months

Having looked at it again, I think you're right, Moggy. It appears to be a bit straighter around the edges to me. Might be a slight alteration to preserve lateral stability?

Have a look at the fin/rudder of this MJ100, though!!

Attachments

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yes, that one will do.

Wrap it up please. I'll take it with me.

Moggy

Member for

20 years 8 months

Yours for around $250,000 - including the cost of having the welded steel tube fuselage done for you!

(And if you don't mind an Allison under the bonnet! :D)

Member for

20 years 8 months

My thoughts exactly. The edges are definitely strighter than either of the fin/rudder profiles used on real Spitfires, whether that is actually to give increased area for greater stabilty or for ease of construction I don't know.

Member for

19 years 6 months

Don't know quite how much 'real' spitfire footage there will be, but might be worth having a look at the last in the Battlefield Britain series on BBC2 tomorrow (friday) evening, 24th September 9pm. :cool:

Member for

20 years 1 month

British Columbia Aviation Museum, Sidney

THis is a very nice 3/4 model, I haven't researched it yet, though (still ploughing though the captions for the earlier part of my trip)

Member for

20 years 8 months

PL - that one is a Jurca MJ10, a chap called Bob Noren who started building it as a flyer. Unfortunately, Bob passed away (at only 41!) and the unfinished article was donated to the musem. It was later finished off by members of 443 (Anti-Submarine) Sqdn. More info at: http://www.bcam.net/hangar%20ac/spitfire.htm

443, as you probably know, flew Spits in WW2. Here's one that flew with them...

(John Dibbs photo)

Attachments

Member for

24 years 3 months

Don't know quite how much 'real' spitfire footage there will be, but might be worth having a look at the last in the Battlefield Britain series on BBC2 tomorrow (friday) evening, 24th September 9pm. :cool:

But there might be some really nice Extra footage huh Mark?

I'm out tonight and have forgotten to set the video. Bummer :mad:

Moggy

Member for

24 years 3 months

Robbo, thou art a saviour. Would you possibly be able to run me a dvd copy please? (now where's the smiley for 'looking sheepish'?)

Member for

24 years 3 months

PM sent mate, ta. :)