Bembridge from the air - IOW pics

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 10 months

Hello,

Here are a few shots taken this week-end during the flight around the Isle of Wight. Nothing new but the light was quite good I think. I would have posted some of them on the "Airfield Piccies" thread, but I think they're not close enough to the runway...

Could anyone tell me what is the building in the last shot? It's take on the coast just South of Lymington.

Cheers,

1. Interesting registration :)
2. One day it'll be mine...
3. Can you spot the runway at the top?
4. Another view of the airfield
5. Gracious coast
6. North coast
7. Needles
8. What is that building next to the lighthouse?

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Great pics :)

I'll be interested if anyone can tell what that building is. The first suggestion would be some form of coastal defence, but it's only a guess.

Moggy

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hurst Castle

(have sailed in to Lymington a number of times and got very, very piddly-aye-aye-ayed)

Member for

19 years 10 months

Thanks guys, that's definitely the one, Hurst Castle.

from the web site: "Two of the huge 38-ton guns installed in the 1970’s can still be viewed in their casemates. "

I would not want to sail past these ones when they were in service :)
Steph

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thanks guys, that's definitely the one, Hurst Castle.

from the web site: "Two of the huge 38-ton guns installed in the 1970’s can still be viewed in their casemates. "
Steph

Are you sure it was the 1970s? I know we don't get on that well with the French, and De Gaulle was being a right pain in the bum then, but I'd guess 1870s might be a better bet?

Moggy

Member for

19 years 10 months

Word for word, that's the web site:

"Charles I was imprisoned here in 1648 before being taken to London to his trial and execution.

"The castle was modernised during the Napoleonic wars and again in the 1080’s when the enormous armoured wings were constructed. Two of the huge 38-ton guns installed in the 1970’s can still be viewed in their casemates."

I agree with you Moggy, I don't think somebody has proof-read the text :)

Thank you to keep a good look-out, not only at the window, but at our posts as well!