Recommended reading...?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hi all,

Just gone and booked my tailwheel course (YIPPEE!! Proper aeroplanes!), so now I'm looking for some suggestions on some reading material I can stick my head into in preparation. And of course, if anyone has any anecdotes / hints / tips / advice, I'd love to hear 'em! :D

Thanks in advance....

Steve

Original post

Member for

20 years 8 months

I'll leave the technical stuff to your instructors. They should, in addition, teach you the hints below. I am just emphasising them because taildraggers are usually less forgiving of mistakes.

# Use the ailerons on the ground like your life depends upon it.
# Hone all your reflexes.
# Don't be afraid of taking off or landing diagonally across the runway.
# Don't be afraid to request an alternative runway to that used by everyone else, if it means landing into wind.

Some taildraggers are more fidgety than others. It is best to treat the docile ones like the wicked ones so that you are ready for anything if you move onto a more highly-spirited aircraft.

And the rule that overrides all of the above is, just do what your instructor says. He/she is after all still alive and I know nothing of their aircraft.

Member for

20 years 4 months

I'll leave the technical stuff to your instructors. They should, in addition, teach you the hints below. *SNIPS GOOD STUFF*
And the rule that overrides all of the above is, just do what your instructor says. He/she is after all still alive and I know nothing of their aircraft.

What she said plus keep the stick back on the ground unless the wind is from the rear (oh er missus). Fix the tail-down attitude in your mind before you take off and . . . .

HAVE FUN

150 Super Cubs are a LOT of fun. You'll also find it wants to come down less than whatever you have been flying. They sort of sit up there and when you reduce the power they say "In a minute, I like it up here"

Be ready to sideslip.

Relax

HAVE FUN

of yeah

HAVE FUN.

Melv

Member for

20 years 8 months

Question for you Melv (I saw you snipping my "good stuff"). I'm just looking for comments here because somebody gave me the complete opposite information to what I had believed for many years the other day and I need to talk to the original source of that information (who is very well known and highly experienced) before passing judgement.

The question is with regards to taildraggers, but if you believe the answer varies according to what type it is, do say.

When parking your taildragger, do you have the nose or the tail into wind?

Member for

20 years 4 months

Question for you Melv (I saw you snipping my "good stuff"). I'm just looking for comments here because somebody gave me the complete opposite information to what I had believed for many years the other day and I need to talk to the original source of that information (who is very well known and highly experienced) before passing judgement.

The question is with regards to taildraggers, but if you believe the answer varies according to what type it is, do say.

When parking your taildragger, do you have the nose or the tail into wind?

I usually park it back where I found it! Mind you I fly so rarely these days and for such short periods of time that the weather doesn't change that much.

I can see the argument for both. Into wind is the accepted way, but if you do get a good blast of wind then it could well lift off. Especially since the wing is at a climbing angle of attack wth the tail down. Parking tail into the wind lowers the amount of lift generated by any wind but if it is out in that much wind it needs securely tying down anyway. You are going to get more force exerted onto the wings with the tail into wind as they wings (and tail) are angled towards the force.

My answer is: Dunno, but I'll take god advice wherever I can get it.

melv

Member for

20 years 8 months

My answer is: Dunno, but I'll take god advice wherever I can get it.

I'll have a word with God and report back!

Member for

20 years 4 months

I'll have a word with God and report back!

Ooooh, my 'o's are sticky!

it reminds me of that old joke about the guy who is waiting at the gates of heaven to go in and there is a queue. A guy dressed in airline captain's uniform walks right along the line and goes straight in. The guy asks St Peter "Why did you allow that airline captain to go right in" and St Peter says "That was not an airline captain, that was God. He just thinks he is an airline captain!

MH

Member for

20 years 11 months

Where did that come from 'R' ?

Have you ever flown with a tailwheel?

Member for

24 years 3 months

There's a book called "Stick & Rudder"

Author slips my mind at the moment, but you can almost certainly Google it or find it on Amazon. I'd do it for you but the box seems a little recalcitrant tonight on dial-up here in the wilds.

Must be the wind.

Moggy

Member for

20 years 4 months

There's a book called "Stick & Rudder"

I guessed someone's copyright was being infringed.

[QUOTE
Must be the wind.

Moggy[/QUOTE]

I make no comment.

MH

Member for

24 years 3 months

Sorry, I wasn't implying that r had lifted that from Stick & Rudder. That was a recommend for Steve to read.

The extract looks like a US Bach imitator to me, should be credited though, some of us might like to read more.

What about it r?

Moggy

Member for

24 years 3 months

The question Janie put forward regarding the parking of taildraggers is an interesting one. This is how I was told to do it.

If you are on a transit stop in relatively light winds (up to say 20 knots), park it nose into the wind, parkbrake on (or wheels chocked) and elevator fixed full up.

If you are securing the aircraft for some really bad weather you do it the other way around. Park the aircraft tail-into-wind, fix the elevator full down, fix the ailerons neutral and chock the wheels. Tie the aircraft down by the wing tie-downs and then put a rope around the tailwheel and secure it to a lamp post or something equally immobile. When tied up like that, it is absolutly impossible for the aircraft to be blown away, unless of course the wind direction changes :eek: The J3 Cub I used to own came through a 50 kts gale unharmed, tied down in this manner, when I was cought out at a fly in about 10 years ago.

For mister Young. Always, always remember to get the stick right back into your stomach on landing (three point) if a bounch is developing. Never, ever, put the stick forward when trying to arrest a bounch. The two thing that can happen if you put the stick forward are A) you will end up on the nose or B) you will be hopping like a Kanguroo down the whole length of the runway in ever increasing bounches. If you don't like the looks of the bounch, it is too high, or what ever, it's full power and fly the aircraft out of it.

Member for

20 years 4 months

Good answer Galdri.

We don't often get weather that extreme here in Basingstoke so don't really get taught how to deal with it. It was something of a shock the first time I flew in the US and had to tie-down after every flight.

What you say makes good sense and what you say about the stick/balls interface on landing (Janie excepted of course) is spot on. The Super Cub especially likes this.

Melvyn

Member for

20 years 4 months

Well I need to put some effort in some times, as for American style well Im as British as one gets but never mind, but well Melvyn would make a comment about it not being from me. I have told you so before, he can not help himself, one gets use to it after a while.

So now you are claiming that as your own work? Cutting and pasting has caused the punctuation in the original document to get mangled and this is not your style. Remember Ruprecht, I write for a living so can spot this stuff a mile off. It is possible that you have created this in another format and cut and pasted it yourself but I simply don't believe you.

In general posting something covered by someone esle's copyright is frowned upon, but that is all if the source is noted and the posting is not for gain. Posting something that is not one's own work and claiming authorship is not only morally wrong (but you don't mind that do you? Drinking under-age, insulting people, refusing to apologise) but is illegal.

If the original author of this piece finds it with your name on it and you post claiming it as yours the do not be at all surprised if they prosecute.

Two photographs used on a website without permission once gained the plaintiff a five-figure sum.

Have fun Ruprecht.

Melvyn Hiscock

Member for

20 years 7 months

I'm not a pilot, so I'm not commenting as an expert here. However, it is perhaps worth noting that the Avro Rota autogyro in RAF Colours has "PARK TAIL INTO WIND" painted big on the rear (Anyone at DX or (IIRC) the Science Museum should be able to check this).

My conclusion is that in the 1940s this would have been an unusual procedure, requiring the note. That therefore implies that it was normal to park the nose of a conventional a/c into wind? (Big, big, guess...)

On my visit to Sproat Lake, home of the Martin Mars, both aircraft have great plank like triangular spoilers roped to the wing upper surfaces - in section like a long rubber chock. This is because they lost one, at its incredible tonnage, to a hurricane on Vancouver Island, back in the 1960s. Guess they still take the risk seriously.

I'm now departing to have a chat with a local friend who's rebuilding a Piper Tri-Pacer. I'll see what he says about parking a/c in Toronto (lock 'em up I guess...)

Cheers

Member for

20 years 7 months

PS For the Mars, I think that's ONLY when on land, on the water I'm not sure...

Member for

24 years 3 months

PS For the Mars, I think that's ONLY when on land, on the water I'm not sure...

JDK , you don't happento have any decent photos of the Martin Mars do you ?? , I've only ever seen a couple of photos , never seen any air to air shots at all .

Member for

20 years 4 months

Well I need to put some effort in some times, as for American style well Im as British as one gets but never mind, but well Melvyn would make a comment about it not being from me. I have told you so before, he can not help himself, one gets use to it after a while.

Requote with added bold for emphasis.

Shall we e-mail Mr Daly (there is a link on the article) and see what he thinks.

Wriggle all you like Rurpecht. You got caught out. You plagiarised someone and it took a matter of moments to catch you.

It is not about me making fun of you, that is WAY too easy, but you have misrepresented this work as your own.

Proud of yourself?

Melvyn Hiscock

Member for

20 years 7 months

Hi ageorge,
Yup, several hundred. Some are mine (all static I'm afraid) and a selection from other journalists. Try the latest issue of Mushroom Model Publications for a selection, and some nice plans.

I may go for a Mars thread soon on the Vintage forum. Remind me. By all means send me a PM if there's something specific you'd like!

Cheers / Salut

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hi ageorge,
Yup, several hundred. Some are mine (all static I'm afraid) and a selection from other journalists. Try the latest issue of Mushroom Model Publications for a selection, and some nice plans.

I may go for a Mars thread soon on the Vintage forum. Remind me. By all means send me a PM if there's something specific you'd like!

Cheers / Salut

Mushroom Models Publications ?? , sounds Magic !! ;)