Old Buckenham Airshow (2004 nostalgia-fest)

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 3 months

Anybody going on Sunday? I'm hoping to get there if I can escape from my other commitment on the day. I've never been there, but really ought to I guess, as it's nearer to me than most other airshows.

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

More likely to go on Saturday for the less formal fly-in. Then Shuttleworth on Sunday.

Highlight of the show in my opinion is the PA22 corroding quietly in the new maintenance facility instead of soaring (?) through the East Anglian skies.

Moggy

Member for

24 years 2 months

All being well I will be there Saturday and Sunday. Looked at the provisional programme tonight and it looks like it should be a good show. Oh and the advertising banner on the A11 looks soooooooo nice.

Member for

20 years 3 months

More likely to go on Saturday for the less formal fly-in. Then Shuttleworth on Sunday.

Highlight of the show in my opinion is the PA22 corroding quietly in the new maintenance facility instead of soaring (?) through the East Anglian skies.

Moggy

Would I be able to drive in on the Saturday? The particular Saab I own doesn't fly!!!

Member for

24 years 2 months

Would I be able to drive in on the Saturday? The particular Saab I own doesn't fly!!!

Well I'll have to. G-ARNE doesn't fly until the nice people at the CAA have shuffled a rain forest or two :(

Moggy

Member for

24 years 2 months

Any news on G-ARNE's progress through maintenance as yet Moggy?

Member for

24 years 2 months

Any news on G-ARNE's progress through maintenance as yet Moggy?

As above.

All the new bits and bobs have been sellotaped into place. Now needs the CAA to say it's ok for Mr Honey to take it for a test drive than we'll get it back.

Sometime next week perhaps.

Pop over and stroke his muzzle at the weekend if you like (The aircraft, not Mr Honey)

Moggy

Member for

24 years 2 months

Pop over and stroke his muzzle at the weekend if you like (The aircraft, not Mr Honey)

Moggy

I will do that, thanks, hopefully the weather will improve between now and the weekend, Wymondham seems to be being blown away at the moment (not a bad thing I guess).

I'm not sure Mr Honey would appreciate being stroked and I fear it may alter the terms of my membership at Old Buck, I'll stick to aircraft I think ;)

Member for

24 years 2 months

Anyone in the area for Old Buck might like to take in Rougham at the same time - it is the Wings, Wheels & Steam country fair and fly-in this weekend, with a small 1hr 'barnstorming' air show on Sunday. You'd all be most welcome.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Other than the Turbulent team is there much else scheduled for the Rougham show?

Member for

20 years 3 months

More likely to go on Saturday for the less formal fly-in.

Moggy

Is that open to non-members and if so, what would be the best time to arrive?

Member for

24 years 2 months

I'm sure it is available for all, as far as I know it's an informal gathering of Boeing's finest and Tiger Moths. I attended the gathering at Tibenham a couple of years ago from about lunchtime until 5 ish and there were things coming and going all day, similarly I popped into Rougham about 5.30 / 6 last year when the Stearman fly in was down there and there were still a few aircraft lurking about.

My guess would be that you would be best off popping over for a lazy lunch in the 453rd Diner and then see what is going on. The Sunday show will obviously have a lot more going on, all depends what you want to see.

However if the weather keeps up like this I will stay in the nice warm hanger situated half an hours drive away.

Member for

20 years 3 months

However if the weather keeps up like this I will stay in the nice warm hanger situated half an hours drive away.

Thanks for the info. Weather forecast is looking better for the weekend (allegedly), so I might well take a drive over from Yarmouth. If I do, I'll come and say hello to you and Moggy, if you let me know where you're likely to be. Sitting here in Norwich, outside it looks as though the world has come to an end - it's bloody miserable!

Member for

24 years 2 months

Yes but Norwich always looks like that.

Member for

24 years 2 months

If I am there on the Saturday I will be somewhere near Stearman N4712V and / or C172 G-DEMH.

Member for

19 years 9 months

Yes but Norwich always looks like that.

Don't say rude things about Naarich. For those of us who have been exiled, it remains a golden (if somewhat sugar beet encrusted) shangri-la. I'm looking out over Coventry - makes you realise why people get sent there.

A pity I wasn't planning to visit my folks this weekend - I'd have popped over for look.

John C
Norfolk 'n good. Premiership for a season!! Get yer bungy ropes here..

Member for

24 years 2 months

I managed to escape Norwich, but not by much, still in deepest Naaaaaaarfolk though. You must have done something really really bad in a previous life to have lived in both Norwich and Coventry!!!! I only have one of the two at the moment however thankfully I am getting closer and closer to the Suffolk border with each move.

Member for

20 years 3 months

I managed to escape Norwich, but not by much, still in deepest Naaaaaaarfolk though. You must have done something really really bad in a previous life to have lived in both Norwich and Coventry!!!! I only have one of the two at the moment however thankfully I am getting closer and closer to the Suffolk border with each move.

No accounting for taste, I suppose! You'll be saying that Janie is better looking than BBD next.................! ;)

Member for

24 years 2 months

No accounting for taste, I suppose! You'll be saying that Janie is better looking than BBD next.................! ;)

Well as a matter of fact I think I probably would ;) BBD has too many chequers on the cowling which make the nose look shorter. However if you come along to the show on Sunday you can take a look and compare for yourself. :D

Member for

24 years 2 months

I hasten to add that the Suffolk border I am moving closer to is more West Suffolk than Snapper Country.