Aircraft distrubutor

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 3 months

Im asking on a mates behalf...

If one becomes an aircraft distributor for say Cessna or Piper are you provided with the aircraft you sell or do you have to buy them and then sell them on? He and I would persume that they provide you with the aircraft and then you sell them whilst keeping a margin of profit, doe's anybody know how you become an aircraft distributor?

I know you need an office at an airfield but are they just going to give you the aircraft and then say sell them???

This is in my words at his request as he does not have net acess.

Regards

R.weaver

Safe legal flying

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

I think you'll find that the majors appoint exclusive agents for each territory.

Therefore your friend will have to prove he can do a better job than the present incumbent wherever he intends to operate.

He'll need sufficient premises for an office, and of course a stores and maintenance facility. The funding to hold several million pounds worth of stores and a track record that proves he can hack it. A business plan, a marketing strategy, staff including at least one M3 engineer.

That apart, it is pretty plain sailing.

Moggy

Member for

20 years 3 months

I will pass it on, bloody hell, I did suggest him buying old aircraft and then doing them up and then selling them on, and whilst he waited for the sale flying the hell out of them, I know some-one who does that out of Thruxton who has a army tent as his hanger, buys vintage cubs and flys them smartens them up and almost doubles his profit from a bit of flash interior. What a good way to live.

Moggy may I aprove the "warrens" port, bloody good, have a good weekend.

Regards

R.weaver

Safe legal flying

Member for

24 years 2 months

I will pass it on, bloody hell, I did suggest him buying old aircraft and then doing them up and then selling them on, and whilst he waited for the sale flying the hell out of them, I know some-one who does that out of Thruxton who has a army tent as his hanger, buys vintage cubs and flys them smartens them up and almost doubles his profit from a bit of flash interior. What a good way to live.

He's the exception to the rule then. The act (or maybe 'art'?) of buying old aeroplanes, 'doing them up', and then selling them on, is called Restoration.

And the quickest way of making a small fortune in restoration?

Start off with a large one.

Member for

20 years 7 months

and whilst he waited for the sale flying the hell out of them,

Oh he's going to love you for making that public.

With reference to the port, I think its Warres not Warrens!

Have you thought of buying a de Havilland Beaver? You could then call it the Weaver Beaver. You could put it on a CAA Public CoA, rent it out for more than it costs you to own and call it the Weaver Beaver lever to help you buy the a/c of your dreams!

Member for

20 years 3 months

Oh he's going to love you for making that public.

With reference to the port, I think its Warres not Warrens!

Have you thought of buying a de Havilland Beaver? You could then call it the Weaver Beaver. You could put it on a CAA Public CoA, rent it out for more than it costs you to own and call it the Weaver Beaver lever to help you buy the a/c of your dreams!

Funny you, it's Warrens I have the bottle next to me, im also aware they do a warres, not as good so im told, weaver beaver what a good idea, wow my very own weaver beaver, how much are they again? :)

Regards

R.weaver

Safe legal flying

Member for

24 years 2 months

I have the bottle next to me...

Regards

R.weaver

Safe legal flying

That explains a lot :)

Member for

20 years 7 months

Dear Weaver Beaver Geezer

wow my very own weaver beaver, how much are they again? :)

I can't answer that. I guess would be £30,000-£100,000. I know that's a bit broad, but the buying is the easy bit (yeah right), it's the 10s of thousands of pounds each year for maintenance, hangarage, insurance, fuel and the engine fund that are difficult.

A Chipmunk (the Beaver's little sister) is around £8-10,000 extra per year. A refurbished engine can set you back £20,000.

Don't forget you can share aircraft with up to 19 other people. This is a brilliant idea so long as they do not want to fly at the same time as you. Choose your group members carefully.