Taylor Monoplane with retracts

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 8 months

Does anyone have any info on a Taylor JT1 Monoplane with retractable undercarriage??

I'm sure I've seen it on the internet somewhere, but do you think I can find it again?? :(

I want to know how the builder got his gear to retract (I'm sure they retract inwards, like on a Hurricane or FW190), whether they were electrical or manual etc.

Any info greatly received!

Original post

Member for

20 years 11 months

As on your website?...... (well worth a look by the way if anyone hasn't already) Not sure whether the mini spitfire on the site has retractable u/c but may have and it is based on the Taylor Mono (or maybe Titch).
I do know of a WAR Seafury replica (UK based, in Leicstershire) that had retracts, they were hydraulic and hand pumped.

Quite a few WAR (and Loehle) replicas have retracts, might be worth a look.

http://www.loehle.com/Aircraft_Kits.htm
http://www.interlog.com/%7Elkane/
http://www.replicafighters.org/
http://j.webring.com/hub?ring=homebuilt

.....and you can build one in your garage. One dead VW Beatle and a trip to B&Q should do the trick....:p :D :cool:

Member for

21 years 1 month

Make a posting on the PFA (Popular Flying Association) site - they look after the Class A homebuilt aircraft. If anyone can answer your questions they can.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Thanks for that - couldn't remember adding a link to my site on my profile - d'oh!

My idea is to build a half-scale Spit replica, and perhaps fit retracts to it, but I wanted to see how this guy had done it on his JT1. May have to go for fixed gear if it looks a bit too complex!

Member for

18 years 10 months

Taylor Monopplane with retracts

I sawe that you were once looking for drawing for retractU/C for a Taylor Monoplane. Bob Ladd from Wisconsin USA built a Taylor Mono with retracts and a 4 bladed prop.,some years ago. I have drawing for the retracts..you can have a copy if you like. I could email these. keith

Member for

18 years 9 months

I sawe that you were once looking for drawing for retractU/C for a Taylor Monoplane. Bob Ladd from Wisconsin USA built a Taylor Mono with retracts and a 4 bladed prop.,some years ago. I have drawing for the retracts..you can have a copy if you like. I could email these. keith

I am planning to build a taylor mono plane with retracts but i never saw anithing about the retracts until now.
Can you send me an e-mail about the retracts??

Member for

20 years 4 months

How heavy is the machanism and what percentage of the total useable weight does it represent?

Member for

20 years 8 months

I am planning to build a taylor mono plane with retracts but i never saw anithing about the retracts until now.
Can you send me an e-mail about the retracts??

I've got an article (complete with photos) about the Mono retracts, so if you want I can send them to you. Haven't seen the plans, however.

How heavy is the machanism and what percentage of the total useable weight does it represent?

Melv - according to said article, only eight pounds(!) compared to the fixed gear, and using standard bits and bobs.

Member for

18 years 9 months

all information is welcome

Member for

20 years 8 months

Check your private messages ;)

Member for

18 years 9 months

check your private massages :)

Member for

20 years 8 months

Check your e-mails - sorry the files are rather big!

Member for

18 years 9 months

:) Thanks

Member for

18 years 9 months

Taylor Monoplane Retracts

Does anyone else have plans or drawnings for retracts in the taylor? :confused:

Member for

20 years 8 months

Taylorman - check e-mails if you've not already done so.

Member for

18 years 9 months

I checked my email, have send an email back :rolleyes:

Member for

18 years 9 months

Thanks for the drawnings Daz ;)

Member for

20 years 8 months

No problemo.

I think Bob Ladd's Mono is still around someplace, in a museum I think. I e-mailed the museum a while back asking more about the undercarriage (when I didn't have the articles or drawings) and, after a short reply from them saying they would look into it, I never heard from them again! :(

Member for

18 years 9 months

That's weird, maybe they hadn't time to look or they forgot to look :rolleyes: anyway, the plans are very good!