Biggin Hill Airport Flight School to Close after 70 Years

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

After reading a letter in Pilot magazine a few months ago detailing how unfriendly Biggin was becoming to GA aviation, it would appear the well established home grown flying schools have also fell victim to this selfish attitude: -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43432123

I wonder how long it is before they start to try and grab more airspace for themselves, as TAG at Farnborough are trying to do?

Cheers

Paul

Original post

Member for

13 years

Biggin's future has been under the threat of exclusive redevelopment for a long long time. Its proximity to London means that the carpet baggers complete with sharp suits and a thirst for profit have been circling like vultures round a juicy carcass salivating at the prospect, so, all the small businesses likely to impede progress, are given the 'bum's rush'.

I did my early flight training at Biggin with the Surrey & Kent Flying Club when the field had few FTOs and was noted for its annual flying displays. I still have my Surrey & Kent members tie ! The new Biggin grabbing more CAS ? That, due to the near presence of City airport is a certainty.