Costs of becoming a Pilot

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

6 years 8 months

Hi everyone, I was just wondering how much it would cost me to become a pilot including the costs of getting a PPL and buying an aircraft and, if possible the running costs of a light aircraft which would hopefully have some aerobatic capabilities. Thanks.

Original post

Member for

17 years 6 months

I would steer clear of buying an aircraft as the costs can mount up, totally depends on what you require it for and how many hours you fly per year.. If you intend to fly say under 50 hours then the annual service can be combined with the 50 hour service thus reducing it from two inspections to one (plus the 6 monthly) Moggy the mod will hopefully pop in and give more advice as he owns one.

The other option is a part Share, they can vary.

Best bet re cost of flying is look up schools etc in your area and check out their websites, then read up on them and ask their students about the place, I would avoid paying for block bookings unless you put it on a card that way you should be protected if anything goes wrong.

UKGA is a good site to read and join and ask in the private flying forums on pprune, there is a help guide I think too.

Member for

13 years

If you're constrained by budget. avoid 'certified' a/c and all that goes with that description. Very expensive. Instead go the Light Aviation Association Permit route. For more info, Google LAA and/or talk to the LAA at Turweston.

Whichever route you choose, the least expensive will be to buy a share in the a/c (ball park anything from £2K - £10K) and hire your own flight instructor. I might be able to give some more info once I know which part of the country you're in.

Member for

17 years 6 months

And if you do go down the purchase route get a Licenced Aircraft Engineer to inspect it who knows the type, it might cost, but it will save you a fortune hopefully in the long run... take a simple thing like radios, they are at the moment changing over to 8.33 frequencies, if you were unaware and the aircraft hadn't been done, it could , or should I say would, add a couple of thousand to your costs in the New Year, simlar with engine lifes and they can be expensive.... No sorry , they ARE expensive to have overhauled..

Member for

6 years 8 months

Thank you to everyone who replied!