Who says pilots aren't romantic?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 7 months

I was out in my garden, cutting wood, this afternoon. I could see a light aircraft approaching from the direction of the local ULM airfield. It was towing a banner. Initially I couldn't see what it said. But as it came overhead, I was able to read the banner. It read:

'Caroline Veux-tu m'epouser Je t'aime'

which for those of you who do not read French says:

'Caroline Will you marry me I love you'.

It passed over my garden - and here I should hasten to add that my real name is not Caroline and I'm already married - in the direction of the nearest large town. About 20 minutes later the aeroplane again passed over my garden, still towing the banner, heading back toward the airfield. Unfortunately Caroline's reply had not been appended to the banner!

Now yes, I hear you say that probably it wasn't the pilot's own proposal of marriage and somebody had paid him to tow the banner to wherever Caoline was. But it's nice to think that it may have been a personal gesture. Pilot's can be cool, unemotional and rational - but also they can have a romantic streak!

I shall contact the airfield next week to see if they can tell me Caroline's response to the proposal. And if it is in the affirmative, I might just send a bunch of flowers!

Original post

Member for

16 years 7 months

This morning I received a reply from the proprietor of the airfield. It was:

'Avec beaucoup d'émotion, elle a dit OUI'

I trust that this does not require a translation!

Quelle belle histoire!