Hook Airfield, Hampshire.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 11 months

Passed this 'airfield' last week on the M.3 and it looked very forlorn, hangars empty and 'runway' overgrown, any update on the situation?

Original post

Member for

12 years 11 months

I pass it every other day or so, and it has looked that way for the last two or three years. Bit of a waste.

Member for

14 years 6 months

I didn't realise it was Hook airfield. Just looked like a small private strip. There were aircraft on it until just recently.

Member for

10 years 3 months

Hello, is this areal airfield as i have passed it many times and just assumed it was a private strip. does it have any history.

Member for

20 years 8 months

There is a website which claims to show aerial pics of all UK and Eire airfields past and present and Hook is among them. From the photo it looks as though it is just a grass strip.

There is a website which claims to show aerial pics of all UK and Eire airfields past and present and Hook is among them. From the photo it looks as though it is just a grass strip.

So, what is this web site then. Have you a Link to it ?

Sounds interesting but hope its not a secret.

Regards
Mark

Member for

20 years 8 months

So, what is this web site then. Have you a Link to it ?

Sounds interesting but hope its not a secret.

Regards
Mark

It's no secret but I don't know the web address. I just went to Google and typed in UK airfields and one of the thinks it threw up was entitled Aerial views of UK Airports and airfields. That is the one you want. I was quite amazed at how many airfield we have/had in this country, no wonder it was once regarded as an unsinkable aircraft carrier. You'll find that you can look up most airfields under any of the names they would/could be known by and get them. i.e. Mount Farm also comes up if you look for Drayton St Leonard.

Member for

12 years 9 months

For the past 25 years I assumed it was a private grass strip. Maybe 3 or 4 light aircraft in one of 2 “open ended hangars”. Perhaps wrongly I knew it as Hook airstrip. I never thought to ask the wokka or Pumoid boys what their designation was for it! Hindsight is 20/20 vision.

Member for

18 years 10 months

According to the estate agent garb it's got hangErs with it, that should suit the Mrs. and her clothing collection, meanwhile the hangArs should suit storage of aircraft....

Member for

20 years 8 months

Ah there's the common mistake again. Amazing the number of people who are unaware of the difference between hangEr and hangAr.

Member for

16 years 3 months

Ah there's the common mistake again. Amazing the number of people who are unaware of the difference between hangEr and hangAr.

Yep............and, GIpsies and GYpsies....!!

Member for

20 years 8 months

That's a little different though as I believe both are acceptable when referring to the Romany people.