GA Headsets

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Just a few random thoughts.

Many years back you were nobody unless your headset had duck-egg green earcups. Dave Clark ruled the skies.

My Yak 52 came with two sets, how proudly I crowned myself with them, only to discover they were heavy, tightly clamping, and shifted around when doing aeros. Nasty, overpriced and overrated bits of kit.

When poverty struck, I bought two pair of Harry Mendelssohn's £65 cheapies 'for the time being' to fly The Shiny Colt. Must be twelve years back.

Then I bought a pair of well second hand Bose Quiet Comfort 11 music earphones, and an aviation adaptor. Suddenly I had ANR and it did make a difference. They were light, they didn't clamp, and they didn't shift during aeros. If the batteries ran flat then you were a bit stuffed in terms of comms unless you changed them in flight.

Today I took my next headset step. Not £700-800 for proper Bose aviation or Lightspeed, but an ANR conversion on my sixty-five quid Harries. I shall report back.

Moggy

Original post

Member for

19 years 5 months

I always liked my DCs. I didn't find them heavy and compared to top of the line new stuff (£700-800) they were reasonably priced.
Flying a warbird helicopter, I never had to worry about aerobatics. Likewise, you didn't have to worry about batteries.

But I'm sure technology has moved on. Still, they were the choice of the pros for a generation, so your "Nasty, overpriced and overrated bits of kit" is far too harsh.

And another benefit, wearing them you didn't look like a stoner on a skateboard or in a Subaru listening to his MP3. :)

Member for

24 years 3 months

No chance to report back yet, the avionics guy has my panel dismantled whilst fitting a Mode S unit.

Added to which some ******* has put a significant ding in my Starboard aileron, then walked away without any attempt to own up.

I am not amused.

Moggy

Member for

9 years 6 months

Whether you’re flying to a destination several hours away, or just sightseeing around your local area, you’ll need aviation headsets for your passengers. The flight is much more enjoyable when you can communicate with those you’re flying with. Plus, your passengers need hearing protection just as much as you.

Member for

20 years 8 months

I agree that DCs are not heavy or uncomfortable. I also agree that a headset is a must for apassenger as much as forna pilot.

Member for

24 years 3 months

.. you’ll need aviation headsets for your passengers.

I certainly wouldn't dream of not providing a headset for the passenger. But the non-aviation QC2 with the mike adaptor makes a perfect passenger set. The noise reduction is excellent, yet they are featherlight and non-clamping.

Meanwhile the Richard Holder conversion, which included fitting gel earseals has proved a great success. HM40s and the conversion give you full and very effective ANR for less than £300 all in.

Heartily recommend - I have no business connection to Mr Holder.

Moggy

Member for

20 years 8 months

I don't think it matters what brand you buy, gel earseals are a must. I wouldn't be without them on my DC's

I still have my Dave Clarks H10-30 which I bought around 1983. I haven't used them for a long time however. Hopefully I will be doing some flying instruction in GA aircraft soon and I will be able to see if they still work.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Welcome back to GA flying.

Won the lottery then? :D :D :D

Moggy

Member for

24 years 3 months

I'm afraid they are now a long way off 'modern'.

Moggy

Member for

20 years 8 months

But reasonably priced and better than Cessna's old on board fit of a speaker in the headlining and a hand held microphone. Even the cheapest of headsets must offer some ear protection by comparison.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hardly reasonably priced when you can buy all but identical headsets (not painted green) for well under half the price.

Moggy

Member for

20 years 8 months

Ah yes, very true. I had forgotten about ASA and the like. Apparently ASA's offering is just about as good as non ANR DC's.

Ok Moggy I finally found a flying school, the owner of which is a kid I taught to fly in 1987 (and I did his PPL navigation flight test). He is now a captain on A320s at South African Airways and he will conduct my renewal test tomorrow. My 1982 Dave Clark's still work and IIRC I paid about the equivalent of a tenner for them in those days.

I flew a grand old Cherokee 140 today.

http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u375/Raffles-/Various%20aviation/2015-01-14155924_zpsed196324.jpg

http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u375/Raffles-/Various%20aviation/2015-01-14145208_zps1fa702f5.jpg

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yay! Knock 'em dead!

Moggy

Member for

20 years 8 months

Ok Moggy I finally found a flying school, the owner of which is a kid I taught to fly in 1987 (and I did his PPL navigation flight test). He is now a captain on A320s at South African Airways and he will conduct my renewal test tomorrow. My 1982 Dave Clark's still work and IIRC I paid about the equivalent of a tenner for them in those days.

I flew a grand old Cherokee 140 today.

Good on you. Happy days.

Member for

12 years 6 months

Still use my 13.4 DC's. Never had a problem with them and hardly know I have them on. Mind you I don't do aeros. I've tried Bose A20's and while obviously they attenuate the racket, I don't think they are worth the extra squillion quid for bimblers like me who knock up 60-70 hours a year. If I was flying everyday I would definitely get a pair.

Member for

20 years 8 months

I definitely like my DCs as I got a bargain with them and I've got a weird enough shaped head to find them comfortable.

ROFL! That reminds me of my army days...if the clothes they issued you fitted, you were deformed :D

Member for

20 years 8 months

That's the one. probably accounts for why none of my uniform ever fitted me properly. I always looked like a bag of spuds tied in the middle.