Runway lighting

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years

As part of the hopefully ongoing process of deregulation, licensed airfields are now permitted to install pilot operated runway lighting.

Only about 50 years behind America !

Original post

Member for

17 years 6 months

cough cough....... I knew of some years ago in the UK ;)

Member for

14 years 1 month

How does this work ?

Member for

13 years

Alan,

I'm not entirely sure about the method to be used here but, I think that the runway lighting is linked to a radio switch or trigger which is on a published radio frequency. Dial in the frequency press the PTT and bingo it's Christmas time !

Either that or FIDO !!

Member for

17 years 6 months

That's about it John, some I think also can be done off a mobile phone No. We fitted a radio fit to an aircraft about 30 years ago which had this in mind.

Member for

13 years

Re 2

Tony,

Can you remember who they were ?

Member for

17 years 6 months

I can't John, it was a modified 172 with canards on the front cowling If I am remembering the right one. It had a discrete aerial on the underside for it.

Member for

24 years 3 months

The CAA took away my night qualification when I developed a colour vision deficiency.

I'm a bit aggrieved about it. On the other hand not flying single engine at night has much to recommend it.

Moggy

Member for

17 years 6 months

But it's all goes grey at dusk..

Member for

24 years 3 months

If you happen to bump into the CAA, can you mention that to them?

Moggy

Member for

13 years

Re 10

Or, over water !

There is a private grass strip near me that has runway light .

Activated by a Text and switched of by phoning the number. Seems to work well for the owner. I would not know as I do not fly at night thankfully.