A pot of gold and the Goodwood Revival

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

12 years 11 months

The current Mrs. Green and I were at breakfast in the booklined study of Irrawaddy Towers (Bruce, I hope that mention of that name, so redolent of the Burma Thread does not send you into a censorial seizure) when I said:
"Would you like to got to the Revival at Goodwood dear ?"

Mrs. G replied: "That would be marvellous". "I could wear my 1940s outfit which is truthfully all I have in my wardrobe and you could wear a leather helmet and white scarf".

I replied: "What about trousers?"

She said: "No one will notice".

I then rang the ticket office and sent a covering e-mail asking for the price for one aircraft to fly in plus two adults. I report as follows:

Landing fee: £126 .00 Two tickets for Friday, £46 each. Two tickets for either Sat. or Sun. £65 each.

These costs plus fuel for one hour each way brings up a grand total of almost £300 biggies.

Now I do know that there are many among you who'll be nudging each other and muttering what's he on about and similar sentiments. You are the plutocrats of our society and £300 quid is small beer. I, on the other hand, think that these fees are extortionate but, that they reflect the value of the occasion and the ability of the public to easily pay.

I won't be going. All that is left for me is to put two fold up bikes in the back of the car, drive to somewhere local, park the car and jump on the bikes and noses pressed against the fence, get a freebie.

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

That is expensive.

I'd rather go to Abbeville and have a decent lunch in the airfield restaurant.

Moggy

Member for

17 years 5 months

I would say the landing fees are simply there as a deterrent, otherwise they would be swamped with 152's etc.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Having done some conversion-to-type at Goodwood recently, for £146 I'd quite like them to smooth out the bump just after the threshold of 24.

Moggy

Member for

12 years 11 months

Re 4

It looks like your landing fee has already attracted inflation !

Member for

24 years 2 months

Damnit! Now my whole post is 'discredited' ;)

Moggy

Member for

17 years 10 months

But Moggs, what could be buried under the bumps??? hmmm?

Member for

12 years 11 months

Gawd 'elp us !

Member for

17 years 5 months

Probably Moggy's landing gear...

Member for

24 years 2 months

As luck would have it, the landing gear survived. The aircraft has now moved to its new home at Old Buckenham, and indeed I did an OB > Wellesbourne > OB today, just as a familiarisation exercise.

Moggy