Is Carol Vorderman 'insane'?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Martin Shaw thinks so:

http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Carol-Vorderman-branded-insane-Martin-Shaw-round/story-20527846-detail/story.html

Moggy

Original post

To attempt a trip like that with a fresh PPL? Who will provide an aircraft? Insurance?

Member for

24 years 3 months

It's her aircraft, she has bought one. A DA40 I think.

Insurance? Well to fly at all it has to be insured and like my policy it will cover all of Europe and parts of Northern Africa. All she'll need is an extension to the policy for the new areas. I can't see raising the premium being an issue for her.

Moggy

Member for

19 years

Hope she's not going to wear those shoes when she's flying!

When I had about 60 hours back in 1982, I attempted a flight from Johannesburg to a small town near Cape Town, a distance of about 700nm. About 2 hours into the flight I turned back because the visibility was very poor due to haze, although I would do it easily today. Michael, you know that women are capable of anything! :cool:

Member for

13 years

Think Ellen MacArthur.

Member for

11 years 3 months

Ellen MacArthur, has had years experience sailing.
Carol may have the hours, or getting them. Doesn't mean she has the experience.

Member for

11 years 5 months

Did she not have a Red Arrows boyfriend until recently? Maybe she caught the flying bug from him. Good luck to her.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Boyfriend is an ex Red Arrow, so between the two of them, they are used to the oxygen of publicity, and probably nothing is worse than not being in the public eye, hence the Big Idea.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2336873/Carol-Vorderman-unveils-plans-solo-flight-world-follows-footsteps-hero-Amelia-Earhart.html

I think it is pretty reckless, though not quite as dodgy as it once was, with GPS and Weather radar now commonplace and no chance of getting lost. The ocean is just as big, though, and the weather just as unpredictable.

Mr Duff (Red Arrow) will follow in a support plane. Just because they are out of sight does NOT mean he is going to follow from in front..

Sheila Scott managed it and she was reckoned to be dangerous liability by the Tiger Club pilots with whom she flew before her adventures.

Mad??. I would say so, yes.

Member for

14 years 1 month

I'd like to know more about the logistics of the trip.

No doubt she is being sponsored by a TV company, which will show her exploits over several weeks.
With, will she, won't she, cliff hanging episodes. My guess would be National Geographic ?

Member for

17 years 11 months

Good Luck to her. I have no idea whether she is crazy or not ,but it is nice to see someone have a go . She may fail like Gary Numan and countless others of better experience but she may just surprise everyone and succeed.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Someone alert TIGHAR.

Member for

15 years 2 months

I think she has to be fit..it is a long drive.

We have a female here who flew over atlantic with DA40.

Member for

20 years

The collective naivety and admiration for aviation pioneers such as Amelia Earhart and Amy Johnston that long ago existed has sadly been replaced with a cynicism and mockery in our 'enlightened' times. Martin Shaw may yet regret the term of 'insanity' applied to Ms Vorderman as we hear of her proposed venture. What does one do with a newly acquired PPL...show aunt Nellie her home from 1500 feet, take friends on local jollies until the novelty wears off? Good luck to her I say, she would appear to have someone with higher credentials than many as an accompanying participant, the modern technology has got to provide better guidance than an alcoholic (allegedly) navigator who accompanied Earhart. It is not a venture to be lightly considered or ill-thought out, but my fear in the political climate that sadly pervades our sick society is that she may no longer be greeted by awestruck tribal elders wherever she touches down, but rather by terrorists and kidnappers seeking to gain from her notoriety . Good luck Carol, I look forward to the documentary film when you're done!

(And as a post script may I add that I too am not a great fan of the lady either as a celebrity or personality, merely admire her pluck : sponsorship, which inevitably will be sought, does not go to shrinking violets, but to those who push themselves forward, yet sadly by doing so then tend to encourage the 'tall poppy' syndrome that some Brits seem to relish!)

Member for

11 years 6 months

I tend to agree with much of the above post. And I suppose we should not be surprised by Martin Shaw's outburst since he admits, in an interview in the Radio Times, to a fear of crashing every time he takes off and is constantly looking for somewhere to land in case of the worst, so he has put himself in her position, I imagine.

I have little time for her, a pushy self-publicist if there ever was one, but if she has the balls to give it a go good luck to her.

Member for

15 years 2 months

Nicely put, Charlie!

Quote: "... but if she has the balls to give it a go good luck to her."

Amen to that.

P.S. I'm not a member of her fan club, either! :)

Member for

24 years 3 months

My thinking is that it should be excellent PR for light aviation (assuming she doesn't die in the attempt). I have a small worry that it will give the impression that to take up private flying you have to be stunningly attractive and incredibly wealthy, whereas we all know that only the first part is true.

By all account this will not be immediately post-ppl, and she will go for a CPL and IR, and build up some serious touring hours before setting out.

That doesn't sound insane to me, that sounds single-minded, determined and committed.

Moggy

Member for

13 years

Re 8

No amount of seatime such as that gained by Miss MacArthur could ever prepare her or, anyone else for that matter, for the terror and lonliness of a solo voyage around the world and the bleak wastes of the Southern Ocean. Whether by boat or aircraft the sense of vulnerability requires stern resolve and a determination of a type which is not normal.

If Carole Vorderman makes it, she joins a select club.

Member for

14 years 1 month

I have a small worry that it will give the impression that to take up private flying you have to be stunningly attractive and incredibly wealthy, whereas we all know that only the first part is true.

Moggy

It's certainly an advantage though :)

Member for

24 years 3 months

You may start off incredibly wealthy, but flying soon reduces you to the breadline.

Moggy :)