Fuel bowser tragedy in Essex

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 11 months

At times if involved with aviation in any way you hear some very sad things, so I was very sorry to read this item in the Braintree and Witham Times concerning the owner of Rayne Hall Farm.

He was very welcoming when my friend and I landed there a few years ago and his passing is a very sad loss to both his family and the light aviation community. RIP

http:// www.braintreeandwithamtimes.co.uk/news/10419007.Braintree

Original post

Member for

15 years 11 months

Very sad.

An easy accident to have as well, we were never encouraged to go up top to carry out dips etc, it's so easy to slip or tip & go overboard, all our wagons had safety rails fitted, which had to be up & locked in place before you could venture up.

Could happen to anyone sadly :(

Member for

15 years 3 months

That's sad to hear.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I hadn't spotted that this happened back in May.

It is right however that it is noted here; by all accounts he seems to have been a great bloke.

Moggy

Member for

16 years 11 months

Yes it happened in May but it was only last weekend that I first became aware of it.

Word usually gets around so I was both shocked and rather surprised that I had seen no mention of it before.

From what I was told he was checking the contents of his fuel bowser, when he slipped and lost his footing and fell off and broke his neck. An awful way to go.

He was the only other person there when we visited and it makes me wonder what will happen now to the airfield just to the east of Andrewsfield without its guiding light.

Wicked Willip

Member for

24 years 3 months

It looks like it is intending to continue and prosper.

Free landings now to encourage visitors and pretty low cost fuel available too.

Moggy