Discovery Channel - "Dangerous Flights"

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Starting on Discovery soon -

DANGEROUS FLIGHTS is the real deal: a high testosterone action adventure series on the edge of aviation’s final frontier, starring the daring mavericks who risk their lives in the high-danger, no-holds-barred, high-stress business of aircraft delivery.

http://www.dangerousflights.ca

Original post

Member for

17 years 10 months

Will Mr R.Weaver be on it i wonder.:diablo:

Member for

12 years 11 months

As I'm now Canada based I got to see this last year.

Unfortunately Mr W does not make a cameo appearance.

If you can ignore the amateur dramatics, it can be quite interesting but they (presumably the production team) do try and make a mountain out of a molehill a lot.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Bet it's not as much as the on-the-edge-of-your-seat stuff as Eddie Stobart's trucking series - will Tramper Steve make the 75 mile round trip to deliver his load in time? Will he overcome the traffic jams en route? Can he eat a bacon butty and drink a mug of tea?...

Reality TV - what next, "Round the bend" - follow the rigours of being a toilet attendant? "Round the block" - see your postie at work....
TV on the cheap - shove a dozen GoPro cameras around the workplace then make a series out of the resulting footage...

Member for

12 years 11 months

Bob

You are not wrong on much of Dangerous Flights content, given your narrative on reality TV shows in general.

As I said, some parts are interesting but quite a lot of it will make you want to pull your hair out. If you fully believe what you are being shown, there are also a few Weaveresque moments in there as well :eek:

The owner of the ferry company is quite a "character" and his previous job as a used car salesman gives an understanding as to some of his priorities (not wanting to stereotype too much.....).

Member for

17 years 10 months

First episode pretty much as i expected. Overly dramatic ala Flying Wild Alaska and Ice Pilots. Every minor problem was escalated to the max, death is just around the corner!!
Having said that the problems with the Cessna seemed quite worrying for a transatlantic flight.
Still it fullfilled my desire to see more general aviation on the small screen some of the footage was gorgeous.

Member for

24 years 2 months

The intro referring to ferry pilots as "cowboys" (of the new Wild West) probably hit the nail on the head with regards to one or two in the business!!!!

I reckon by the time that Cessna gets to Poland there won't be an original part on it!!!!!

Member for

17 years 10 months

Exactly i was wondering who pays for all the work that Cessna needed to get it to Poland, the customer,the ferry company!! or the person it was bought from.I think the lady from Poland should have got another pair of eyes on it before buying.
Still it is flying and doing the job it was bought for.
http://photos.skrzydla.org/2012-05-30/187701.jpg

Member for

12 years 11 months

It will be interesting to hear your comments after the Dornier 228 ferry from Canada to Ethiopia (I think). :eek:

That is if you manange to stick with the series that long.

Member for

19 years 9 months

I think Ruprecht will have his own HBO mini series eventually.

Flying Wild Alaska had me shouting at my screen on more than one occasion...

Member for

14 years

There does seem to be a glut of aviation related series on TV at the moment.
Dangerous flights possibly being the most cringe worthy.

I still prefer Ice Pilots :)

Member for

24 years 2 months

Well that South Sudan flight was interesting.

It needs some stolen borrowed satnavs, abandoned aircraft and unpaid hotel bills to bring it up to Ruprecht's standard. At the moment it is pretty lacklustre stuff - I wonder if Discovery read the Pprune thread on the ginger aviator and thought the world of ferry flying worthy of following?

It won't beat Ice Pilots that's for sure. Now that Ice Road Truckers have introduced a rather splendid Nu Yoik gal (did anyone see her bathe in hot springs at the end of last weeks episode?) it may get a few more viewers but even that makes me wonder just how far you caan stretch the suspense of driving over frozen lakes!!!

Member for

14 years

What a great shame .

I believe this was the accident (from ASN) :

RIP and condolences :(

Date: 24-FEB-2013
Time: 09:30 LT
Type:
Aeroprakt A-22 Foxbat
Operator: Laikipia Wildlife Forum
C/n / msn: 239
Fatalities: Fatalities: 2 / Occupants: 2
Other fatalities: 0
Airplane damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Phase: Initial climb
Nature: Survey
Departure airport: HKNL
Destination airport: HKNL
Narrative:
Crashed. Both occupants have been killed.