Spitfire training in Britain

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years

I don't know if this has already been mentioned. I was at Goodwood to-day and heard that the CAA have given approval for training to start on a two seat Mk 9.

There are broadly two courses. One, a 25 hour course utilising a Tiger Moth, a Chipmunk then Harvard and Spitfire costs around £40,000.

The other course is a 15 hour affair costing around £25,000.

A website at Goodwood features details. I'm already doing overtime.

John Green

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

This has been running for a considerable time, though was originally based at Oxford / Kidlington.

It has been discussed here previously, of course.

Moggy

Member for

12 years

this sounds like what happens here in italy... We will never see training like that

Member for

13 years 7 months

2 day into course is the most accessible...a flight in the Chipmunk or Tiger Moth, a flight in the T6/Harvard and then a flight in one of 2 2-seater Mark IX Spitfires. Groundschool included, flying licence holders only.

About the cost of a used small car...

Member for

24 years 3 months

I could see myself doing it given enough money (or external funding) and an opportunity to fly Spits somewhat regularly for an operator of some sort.

Member for

24 years 3 months

The 1,000 hours PPL TT could be a bit of a barrier to entry if you aren't already well along the way.

At the historical rate I'll reach that just around the time I am 90 years old.

Moggy

Member for

24 years 3 months

I've been commercial for about a year, must get my TT up anyway to qualify for a job with one of the operators I'm currently aiming for.

Member for

24 years 3 months

At the historical rate I'll reach that just around the time I am 90 years old.

Moggy

Well it will give you something to look forward to during the remainder of your dotage. ;)

Regards,

kev35

Member for

24 years 3 months

:mad::mad: :D