FAA to cancel ALL US-registered aircraft?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 6 months

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40590745/ns/travel-news/ over a 3 year period and require all to re-register to fill in the massive gaps in up-to-date information.... (read the article for a full explanation - it's not a straightforward job to undertake)

Imagine the CAA doing that here :eek:

Original post

Member for

21 years

Don't give 'em any more ideas for taking money off us :D On the face of it, though, this shouldn't be too onerous, but as it's the FAA's fault for letting their records get in such a bad state in the first place I can see why owners will be a bit miffed about this.

Member for

18 years 1 month

I have to re-register by next December despite only having bought it this year.

The US is different in a couple (at least) of respects in that the registration defines legal ownership. If you buy an aircraft, don't re-register it and the registered owner dies, then it becomes part of the estate of the registered owner legally. Surprising then that some people don't keep the details correct.

The other point is that the CAA keeps tabs on the airworthiness state of aircraft through CofA and permit issues, whereas in the US a CofA is non-expiring and only requires the relevant A&P inspection signatures in the log book to be rendered valid. As a result, the FAA don't know the airworthiness status unless they do a ramp check.

The US is also different in that they re-use cancelled registrations. Witness what happened to the Kings when they landed at Santa Barbara with a registration of a stolen aircraft that had been re-issued.

Member for

19 years 5 months

When checking N-numbers on the FAA database, lately I've been getting a lot of "This registration number may not be available..."
I figured something was up.
Probably nothing good...:rolleyes: