Today, I give up my PPL....

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 1 month

.....and fly instead on an NPPL !

I was dismayed to learn that my 'Flying Doctor' was now charging 160 pounds to count my limbs and tell me how fat I was. Was he taking the p*ss? Yes, he did that as well, as required by the CAA.

Our brief telephone conversation confirmed that he was not particularly comfortable discussing his ever-increasing, inflation-busting tariff, or the reasons for it, though he kept stressing I could claim back VAT ( not relevant) . His observation that the price hike was little more than 15 mins flying further confirmed what everybody knows, ie 'private flyers are minted,' and will pay any bill, reasonable, large or extortionate without a second thought. Or perhaps not.

A very helpful adviser listed on the NPPL website confirmed there is no extra charge to fly with NPPL privileges, simply download the medical form from the website, get your own doctor to sign it and.............just go flying! Your surgery may apply a small charge, many do not. I shall miss the bi-annual check-up, the soothing, avuncular bonhomie and the olde-worlde charm. But enough is enough.

Should you suddenly decide you need to fly your personal Dh-Dove ( about the largest aircraft you can fly on a PPL) over Europe, at night, then get down to Dr Sawbones, stump up the money, and you are back in the PPL business. I should add I have a 'PPL for life' as opposed to a expiring JAR example. The French authorities continue to resist the 'Declaration of Health' , being close to all the vested interests within the avaition medical business, which is just too luctrative to give up without a fight.

In the meantime, if I have the urge to fly to France, I shall go in at dawn, at wavetop height, just like my Grandfather did..

Original post

Member for

15 years 2 months

When you say you have a PPL for life because of the NPPL does this mean your license is valid regardless to whether you fly 12hrs a year or not?

The cost is the most annoying part to flying and right now im stuggling to fund my hour building. Im lucky in a way, a friend of mine owns a plane (Beech Musketeer) and asked me to do formation flying in it last week so I can keep my hours up.

Member for

20 years 1 month

The 'old' PPL is a lifelong licence, but if not kept current by flying the minimum hours, will lapse, and remain lapsed until you renew it by flying a certain number of hours, which varies depending on the time it was last used.
Upon renewal , you will not have to pay for the issue of a new licence, which is about 164 pounds I think.

The new JAA PPL last for just 5 years, after which a further fee is due.

My understanding is that I still have essentially the same licence, but will now fly within the limitations of an NPPL rather than the previous PPL.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Good for you... :)

Member for

17 years 2 months

Propstrike, I can recommend an AME (who is also a pilot) who charges a quarter of the fee you quote and has done for many years. You will need to come to the North East, but it is an option. PM me if you would like further details.

Airmac

Member for

19 years

Andy, our one at daventry charged me £95 last year if thats of interest. :)

Member for

20 years 1 month

Thanks for input, Matt and Airmac.

My GP is currently processing the NPPL paperwork, though of course that does not commit me to going that route.

However, given that my flying has not taken me out of the UK in over 10 years, and escalating fuel cost are likely to keep me near the Piper Cub end of the GA spectrum, I can think of no compelling reason not to go 'recreational' , which is, after all, is the only flying I have ever done.

It is clear there is a variation in cost for medicals, thought the inclusion of an ECG (needed above age 40) creates two different tarriffs, which slightly complicates comparisons. That said, I would consider it worth my while to drive perhaps 40 miles to save 70 pounds.

As an aside, the GP has just phoned, paperwork done, and fifteen pounds to pay. I have just spoken to the CFI, to check I am OK to 'slip the surly bonds of earth' and answer is 'Yes', so Job Done !

I am mindful that my medical administration issues are not neccessarily of huge public interest, but for other 'fair weather flyers' this thread might throw up some useful pointers. In my case, I have just saved the cost of five hours flying!

Member for

17 years 2 months

Glad you are sorted and good luck with your flying.

Do not know about two tier charges, ECG or no my guy charges the same and I go every year.

Although I have been flying for many years, throughout the UK and Europe, plus occasional excursions to the US and Canada, I have flown far less recently. I have little appetite to revisit the same places and the camaraderie at my home base was ruined by the previous owner.

But I keep my PPL for those occasions when I visit new destinations like Australia and New Zealand, when I hope to enjoy some flying there. It has taken so much to keep it over the years, I am very reluctant to let it go.

Airmac