"New" Forum issues.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi All,
    It seems to take an eon to load replies but once loaded the editing is much faster, another problem is sometimes it just keeps displaying working even when reply posted and one last thing is I use a pc and each time I move from thread to thread or section to section the curser seems to have a fit as if someone else is trying to hack my pc (Which it isn't) apart from that no other gripes.....

Geoff.
    Last edited by 1batfastard; 14th September 2018, 07:18.

Comment

Note. There is a dedicated 'Forum Issues' Forum at the bottom of the Forum List page!
      http://www.flightmemory.com/ I have been round the world 11.83 times!

Comment

There is indeed, and I have tried to move this thread into it, but that doesn't work either.

I have been flagging up issues as they come up to the webmaster, and some things have been dealt with - we will have to be patient for a little longer I think.

Main issues seem to be:

Its very slow to load (Currently much better)

Thread page numbers have disappeared (now fixed)

Issues with uploading pictures from third party sites.

Avatars have disappeared, or are not being picked up correctly.

Statistics don't work properly - this thread currently shows 7 replies, but it has 24!

Feel free to note any others underneath and I will add them to this post.
        Last edited by Bruce; 14th September 2018, 13:51.

Comment

Glad i'm not the only one .
          The new set up is slow, unresponsive, hard to navigate and a general pile of rubbish.
          Used to always like viewing the forum to check on the latest, now i dread it .
          Probably why the number of posts seems to have has dropped .

Comment

Currently running a bit faster, and the page numbers are back. Thanks Webbie!

Comment

Out of curiosity, I checked to see what shows up in the ABOUT category under my user name (what others would read should they want to see what I've written about myself). My biography does include 100% of what I'd previously posted, but it is now displayed as a dreadfully long single paragraph. No spacing. On the old layout, my carefully-planned text display, with numerous paragraphs and a blank line break between paragraphs, allowed an ease in comprehension for anyone wanting to slog through the wordy material. A single paragraph certainly doesn't work.

When I tried editing my biography (after clicking on EDIT SETTINGS), I found that the edit window display still included all of my original (correct) line/paragraph spacings. I didn't even attempt to edit, assuming (at this point) that it would be a blind exercise, maybe futile, in trying to guess at how any edit would become a correct final display.

My original posted bio info may have included display options like bold text for certain words (I can't recall with certainty) . All I know is that the new display shows no bold, italics, etc. -- just one font, one style, one color.

I understand that change is essential and wise, for security reasons, but I also know that software engineers love to change for the sake of change, sometimes opting for "pretty" over "functional". That's hard to accept. And the system, for me, is still S-L-O-W.

Good luck in tweaking for the better.
              Last edited by Matt Poole; 15th September 2018, 22:25.
              RAF LIBERATORS OVER BURMA (subtitled FLYING WITH 159 SQUADRON) by Bill Kirkness DFM and Matt Poole, published by Fonthill Media

Comment

"User preferences" has disappeared completely. This hasn't happened with any of the other forums I frequent that use the same software & the same updates. Someone has dropped a bollock.
                If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

Comment

I have noticed that problem too Nicko, I hope that it will get sorted out soon.

Comment

Can we have users post count returned rather than the meaningless and pointless "is on a distinguished road" or "will become famous soon enough" titles/bar icon below the usernames?
                    Under my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

Comment

Edits to posts not showing up - when you try to redit it again the prview pane shows the edit but it disappears once you press "Save" and the page eventually reloads.
                      Under my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

Comment

& now we have another issue, now I'm getting a window pop up after making a post that indicates a SQL error of some sort. This is on top of the issue where you make a post, nothing appears to happen at all, you click "post reply" again & it tells you it's a duplicate post, but it still shows the reply as not posting. This is getting beyond a frigging joke. It usually takes maybe 2 days for forum software upgrades using V Bulletin, this has now been going on for close to two weeks & it just getting worse.
                        If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

Comment

I'm still way behind on updated post lists as well and while it's not as dial-up slow as it was, it's still pretty slothsome.

Haven't dared try to post a new thread yet.

Adrian
                          "Snow clearing equipment has been found under snowdrift" - message sent from RNAS Hatston, Orkney, 1944.

Comment

The new look of the forum is so slow that it is unusable. What a great way to discourage forum participation!

Comment

All the above really and sometimes the response is so slow I give up.

Personally tho' purely cosmetic I don't like the font used and feel it's hard to read in comparison to many others.

Comment

It did briefly speed up, but has slowed down even further it seems.

Keep flagging the problems please.

Bruce

Comment

Just taken me damn near 5 minutes to go from clicking "post reply" to it actually appearing on another thread.

Comment

James is working on it at the moment. It is currently running much faster than has been the case.

Comment

Things are looking better! It only took 10 seconds to post and refresh. Yesterday it took about 5 minutes.

Comment

[quote]It did briefly speed up, but has slowed down even further it seems.

Keep flagging the problems please.

Bruce[\quote]

Floating page Issue
                                        I have an issue with the new set-up and wonder if anyone can help? I'm using a Mac with a magic mouse and use Firebox as my browser so when scrolling up on down, the page is also floating left and right! Unfortunately, using a magic mouse means that when I move the page back to its correct position, the
                                        Tony

...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugg*r all down here on Earth!

Comment

Working...
                                        X