FW190 vs. Spitfires in IL2

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 7 months

Hello,

This is my first posting here. I guess I am a flight simmer. I have flown IL2 in all it's incarnations and patches since it's inception several years ago.

Before that I fooled around with MS flightsims but lost interest in them when I started flying IL2 in late 2001/early 2002.

As far as IL2 goes, I always specialized in flying it online and on it's hardest settings, and by hard settings I mean when hitting the "hard" button under it's difficulty settings.

Of course this is not always easy to do in that it is a fraction of the IL2 community that flies the sim on it's hardest setting, but we do the best we can to find servers to fly on with as close to the settings we like as possible.

In the history of my flying online I always gravitated towards flying the WWII axis fighter craft, especially the bf109 and FW190.

I have always done well with the craft too in online combat servers. I could say I am one of the best at flying IL2 axis craft online in the world.

I have never had any problem getting to the very top of the stats list on any server I ever put effort into.

On popular harder-settings servers that might see so many thousands of virtual pilots on them over a month's time, I have been able to put myself in the top several ranked pilots.

So in practicing this specific craft over the last several years over many thousands of hours I have become expert at what I do. That is I know what to do in IL2's FW190 in online combat to succeed as well as or better than almost anyone in the world.

There is an awful lot to learn and know to successfully fly an online mission on hard settings against other experienced virtual pilots in any fighter aircraft in IL2, to take-off, inflict any damage and return to your home base.
Especially if you want to do it time after time, day after day and week after week and rack up the kind of stats that not only would put you at the top of kept statistics, but would also have made you and ace in WWII before you died or quit flying.

When you fly online with hard settings you have to use most of the real skills actual WWII pilots used in combat. You have to really know your aircraft inside and out and what it will do. You have to also know some of the enemies aircraft's capabilities and you have to navigate to your target. You have to keep your head on a swivel and look all around because you do not have any other views enabled besides your cockpit view. You have to be able to know and use the tactics of air combat and you have to be able to develop strategies to attack the enemy and achieve goals for your side. The list goes on and on.

Experts like myself can and do get shot down in combat all the time though, it is inevitable.

There are two different ways in which we will be shot down, the first is if we actually want to be shot down. That is when we sacrifice being serious about what we do for the sake of having a bit of fun and practice.

This may entail flying into a low altitude furball with many aircraft, or putting ourselves at some other known disadvantage for the sake of "gaming".

The second reason we will be shot down is by being "bounced" by surprise and hit by enemy fire we never saw coming.

Flying hundreds and thousands of hours on missions creates odds that catch up with everyone eventually without exception.

But a true IL2 online expert, will do very well by any standards, becoming an ace once or many times over before he is shot down or killed. I have run up kill ratios of twenty, thirty and even fifty to one on many occasions before I have been had to bail or have lost my "virtual" life in combats.

If I had to take IL2s FW190 into any scenario on hard settings against other good pilots and aircraft, I would rather go against Spitfires than any other allied aircraft contemporary to the FW190.

This is simply because in IL2 the FW190, year for year is always as fast as, and usually faster than, the Spitfire it will fly against.

When you are an expert pilot and you know you have a faster aircraft than your opponents then there is no excuse for you to not get home safely, and every good chance you will succeed in inflicting damage on the enemy and getting away scott-free.

Those who are not caught in a surprise bounce but still get shot down by Spitfires in the FW190 are NOT good FW190 pilots. If an expert 190 pilot is engaged with warning in combat with spitfires and does not like the fight he can always break off at will to either go home or to set up another attack.

Any 190 pilot who gives away his edge in combat by engaging in a slow-speed turning fight with Spitfires is NOT a good 190 pilot, period.

The 190s advantage is it's high speed and it's control authority at those high speeds. The combination of these two qualities is one that few allied aircraft can match, and certainly the spitfire does not.

The Spit is a very very good aircraft. It does everything well and has great firepower, but it is not the best at everything, and it is not as good in all parameters as the 190, and it is not particularly fast compared to the axis fighters, certainly not faster.

So that is about it. I really love flying against spitfires with the fw190, it is easy to control any engagement with them by using the FW190s speed and control authority combined with expert methods and tactics.

Spitfire pilots: Shoot down fw190s and have fun in your aircraft, but don't ever say that those you have shot down without the element of surprise were "good" FW190 pilots, because they were not, if they were you would not have shot them down.

Thanks all for your valuable time.

Original post

Member for

16 years 7 months

Great that you have fun with the IL2 game, plenty of people have gotten involved with historic avitaion from that corner.

I'm not really sure what you are saying in your post, but I hope you realise, that under no circumstances can you compare a combat flight simulation like IL2, to the expirence of actually flying WWII aerial combat.

The physics engine is simply not good enough (I have played both IL2 and Pacific Fighter, which both uses Maddox game engine). Although Im not a pilot myself, I have talked to plenty of pilots (military and civilian), who all concur on the lack of realistic flight characteristics.

Member for

16 years 11 months

Would this be better moved to the experts in the 'Flight Sims' section?;)

Member for

15 years 7 months

I'm not really sure what you are saying in your post, .

It is always wise to not comment on what you are not sure about isn't it?

Member for

16 years 7 months

It is always wise to not comment on what you are not sure about isn't it?

True, but you posted in Historic Aviation (before it was moved), so I took it you had some historic point and simply wanted to say, that you can't make a historic point by using a combat flying game.

Member for

20 years 8 months

This is simply because in IL2 the FW190, year for year is always as fast as, and usually faster than, the Spitfire it will fly against.

Which, in itself, is incorrect, as the Spitfire XIV was comparable with, and sometimes better than, the Fw-190s that the Luftwaffe had in service.

:rolleyes:

Member for

24 years 3 months

I think Gradler just needs an appreciative audience, happy to say how accomplished he is after hours sitting in front of a computer.

Don't be churlish guys, show some admiration for this small achievement.

Moggy

Member for

15 years 7 months

a

I made this thread because in the last issue of PC Pilot I picked up there was some guy telling a story about how he and his buddies were dogfighting against some FW190 pilots in the IL2 flight sim and he said the FW190 Pilot was a good pilot right after he talked about how the FW190 pilot had tried to turn with his Spitfire, WHICH NO GOOD FW190 PILOT DOES especially in a combat zone where there are multiple Spits.

A good 190 pilot would not have pissed away his Energy turning with a Spit, he would have flown away to set up another attack or just used his speed advantage to fly home to fight the next mission.

So to me and anyone who knows anything the article was B.S.

Thanks to whoever moved my thread to the correct forum.

Yes , in real life the very late Spits were as good as any fw, but there is no Spit XIV in IL2, and IL2 is all I was ever talking about.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Yes , in real life the very late Spits were as good as any fw, but there is no Spit XIV in IL2, and IL2 is all I was ever talking about.

*cough* Mark 9 *cough*