Flight Sim X scenery

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 6 months

Hello, is there a database of scenery & mesh add ons that work with Flight SimX? Thanks in advance.

Original post

Member for

17 years 2 months

Hi notamuppet - what a name!!:D

Yes, the two you want to look at for England and Wales are Horizon Photographic Scenery (which I have) and Just Flight's Real Scenery.

I believe there are also terrain sceneries for both Europe and America too.

Be warned. These sceneries are huge and can have a massive hit on frame rates unless you have a lot of RAM, a really good processor and large capacity, fast, and preferably two or three hard disks to put it all on. Dual core is preferable too.

A good way to judge if you have a big enough system is to look at what they recommend for system and at least double it!

Having said all that, I like my Horizon scenery and wouldn't be without it. However, it does not yet include night lighting, whatever it says on the packet, and neither does it include airports or towns and cities where the default FSX scenery complexity takes over, leading to sometimes interesting effects.:eek: :(

Furthermore, the autogen is true aerial photography so there are no trees actually standing up, which is a false impression anyway except when you're taxiing, taking off and landing, which come to think about it is what it's all about really isn't it?:D

My suggestion is that you have a look at both the forums run by these two firms and make up your mind from there. I can only speak for Horizon but you will find we are a really friendly bunch and there's always someone there willing to help.

Best wishes. Let me know how you get on and if you need any further help, well I check this forum every few days, so I might be able to point you in the right direction.:)

JohnY

Member for

17 years 6 months

Thanks John I was wondering if the british airports series worked with X as I have seen no info on this. Bye for now.
DaveK

Member for

17 years 2 months

Yes, many of the airports are compatible I believe but strangely not all. There has been a lot of discussion about it in the Horizon forum. Might be worthwhile for you to go on there and have a look. Try the FSX support section. The threads in that may help you. You don't need to be a scenery purchaser to brouse.

The web site you need is; http://www.horizonsimulation.com/shopuk/

Then go to 'forums/support'

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Best wishes.

John Y