Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEW SIMMER NEEDS HELP

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • magicpresident
    • Oct 2007

NEW SIMMER NEEDS HELP

I'm running FSX/SP1.
    I'm trying to learning VOR using the cessna 172.
    The NAV1 TO/FROM flag is stuck on red/white.
    The NAV2 appears to work, but the TO/FROM doesn't
    change as I was expecting, when passing the VOR station.

Thanks
  • Deano
    • Aug 2003

Welcome to the forum.

The Nav1 red/white flag indicates it isn't receiving a signal, so either a) you have not got the correct frequency tuned or b) you are out of range of the beacon. I'd say the former would be more true, so check the frequency in your nav 1 radio box.

VOR nav takes a bit of explaining, I haven't got the time to type out a comprehensive tutorial but let's say the VOR is placed in London, and you (the plane) is placed over Bristol. Next let's look at VORs, they have an infinite number of bearings emanating from the station but we are mainly interested in the cardinal points, those being North, South, East & West plus NE, SE, SW, NW.

Bristol [270] <------------------O London -----------------> [090]

Think of the VOR as a bicycle wheel with all the spokes coming out the centre, firstly in our example above we are to the west of the beacon, agree?
    Right, if you take the "spoke" from the beacon that we are sat on then we are sat on the Westerly spoke, agree? good.
    Now we can display this in the cockpit, if you rotate your OBS or Omni Bearing Selector to display 270 the needle should be centred because you are on this track, the TO/FROM flag should indicate "FROM", because you have set 270 on the OBS, you are 270 from the beacon. Now remember this is not heading specific, by this I mean it does not matter at all what your heading is, the needle should stay centred provided you stay on this radial.

Next can we see that if we followed this 270 radial to the beacon by heading East eventually we will pass over the beacon? if we did this we would now be travelling along the 090 radial, agree? good.
    The only thing that changes now is the TO/FROM flag, it will now indicate "TO" the beacon, simply because you have to fly "TO" the beacon to reestablish back on the 270 radial that you have set on the OBS.

With that out the way let's look at something else, let's assume we know a beacon's frequency and we have tuned it in, we also know roughly where this beacon is, let's assume it's NE of our position. Firstly we can track directly to the beacon if we want from our position, to do this we would wind the OBS needle until we have the "TO" flag indicating, then continue to wind the OBS in 30 increments until the needle centres, as soon as it centres it should give you the bearing you are on by what is displayed at the top of the compass rose, agree? good. Now we need to turn our aircraft onto a heading that resembles this bearing, we can now track to the beacon by adjusting our heading for wind drift as necessary to keep the needle in the centre, again when you get to the beacon and pass over it the only thing that changes is the TO/FROM changes to FROM.

Another scenario could be that you want to track to the beacon on a certain radial, let's assume it's in the NE again from our position and we want to track the 040 radial, first thing we do is dial in 040 on the OBS, then turn and head 040, then see where the needle is, if it's off to the left then we have to fly left on an intercept heading to centre the needle, once centred turn back to the heading/track +/- wind to maintain it, and visa versa if it's off to the right.

Clear as mud?

I hope it helped

Dean
    Last edited by Deano; 30th October 2007, 14:04.
    http://www.findmadeleine.com

Comment

• magicpresident
      • Oct 2007

You did a very good job of explaining VOR.
      What I'm trying to verify is there a bug in the
      program that is preventing the flag from registering
      what we would expect? Could someone test their
      version of the program to produce the same results
      I got? I put the same frequency into NAV2 and get
      the results I expect. In fact they should both produce
      the same results.

Comment

• Deano
        • Aug 2003

Just tested mine and it works perfectly.

Took off from Staverton and flew over Honiley VOR.

If you look at the Nav 1 VOR/ILS rose I think you could be looking at the Glideslope inop flag, obviously this flag will be here if you have not got an ILS freq tuned and within range of the GS, the TO/FROM flag is situated at the bottom of the instrument.

As for my Nav 2 VOR rose this works identically to the Nav 1

Comment

• magicpresident
          • Oct 2007

Same aircraft ?

The description of the VOR doesn't sound like the gauge on my system.
          And my NAV2 works during the same test period that I used to test.

Comment

• Deano
            • Aug 2003

Cessna 172 in whatever livery, the cockpit is generic.

Maybe if you could post a picture that would help

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
            X