Morse Code?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 2 months

:confused: I've just flown the Learjet 45 on IFR from Edinbugh to Newcastle using FSX. Nothing so spectacular about it that's so. But halfway through the flight I got a morse code signal or, at least it sounded like that; 'da da di da da di di da da di'.

At first I thought it was an alarm generated by the aircraft but it flew fine, the instruments were all reading correctly and the controls were all working ok but the signal kept coming every few seconds for the rest of the flight.

The strange thing was it didn't seem to be coming from the radio.

It was not only irritating but made hearing the traffic controllers difficult.

After landing and parking I thoroughly inspected as much of the Learjet as I know how to, which isn't much I will admit, but nothing gave me a clue as to what this noise could be.

Is it Microsoft throwing a spanner in the works, or is it something I should know about? And what's more important if it happens again how do I get rid of it?

Any ideas anyone please?

John Y

Original post

Member for

19 years 8 months

The morse code is used by Radio navaids such as VOR's, ILS, ADF and the airfield's localiser to confirm the frequency you're tuned into. You can have these tuned in and use them without interfering with ATC, you just need to deselect that particular radio channel.

Just bring up the radio panel on either side of the throttle quadrant and make sure the buttons next to either NAV1, NAV2 and ADF aren't glowing green, if they are just click on them. Easy.

Member for

16 years 10 months

It's the ILS. After you tunned the frequancy, you must have pressed "NAV1" on the radio stack, but not yet turrned on the approche on the the autopilot panal. This will cause a beeping like morse code. I was flying my 737-800 and done that. I didn't know what was happerning, then i finally realised what it was. So press the "nav1" button only when on final, so you can still here the ATC. That should be it.

Member for

17 years 2 months

Thanks for this help guys. You're quite right. It's the NAV radios. I must turn them on by accident sometimes as I had the experience again over the weekend and clicking them off does the trick.

Funny thing is, everything still works fine whether they're on or off and there's no problem using the autopilot approach switch either. Makes you wonder what the buttons are there at all for!:)

Member for

24 years 3 months

Knowing the Morse alphabet is no longer a requirement for professional pilots under European standards. However it does help when identifying navaids in order to a) verify that you entered in the frequency correctly and b) check that the correct ILS is radiating; only one beam does so at a time so it pays to check the ILS and landing runway are the same. I once got caught out skipping over the latter in the simulator a few months back.