FSX instability

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 1 month

I'm furious with FSX. It's happened at least 6 times now. The program has frozen again and there's no way I can see of retrieving it. It has always happened when I close down after flying and when I have amassed a little more than a page full of awards and records. It closes ok but when I try to open it again for a new session, the initial panel comes up with the hour glass and then just stays there.

FSX always takes a long time to open but this is ridiculous. I've even waited a couple of hours at times, then when I try to close it I get the panel saying the program is not responding so I 'end task' it.

I've tried the repair faciity both on the disc and through the 'add and remove' program facility in Control Panel but it still won't work. I would not mind uninstalling and reinstalling quite so much if it didn't always result in my losing all the considerable number of pilot records and awards I achieved. Let alone what it does to the service pack number one which I now have. Does that have to be downloaded again too?

Any help, advice or even a bit of sympathy wouldn't go amiss please. I'll hang on for a few days just to see if any of you wizards out there have a solution for me which will avoid me having to lose all my records and stuff .....Again!!

John Y

Original post

Member for

16 years 11 months

fsx instability

Hi john
i've been having this problem also, every time i reach between 60 - 80 hrs flying i get this problem the only way seems to be to delete the logbook and it starts up ok, i've asked in a couple of other forums but had not solutions and no replys to say others are having this trouble.will keep trying to find solution happy flying when its goiing
wilder

Member for

16 years 11 months

fsx instability

HI JOHN Y
meant to say earlier if you delete logbook from your flight sim x folder where your saved flights are you only lose your logbook but not your trophys, certificates etc. not very good but helps a bit.

wilder

Member for

16 years 9 months

Hey guys.

Yes the logbook is a bit of a dodgy component in FSX. In some troubleshooting guides it is suggested you delete the logbook file and let a new one be generated the next time FSX starts.

I'm also one of those that suffered FSX not starting up one day for no reason. Deleting the logbook and it all started up fine and has been fine ever since. I'm not sure if any of SP1 looked into these issues.

Member for

16 years 11 months

fsx instability

Hi Lewis Shockwave
I did a clean install with sp1 and still have same problem, twice now,so dont think they looked at this

Wilder

Member for

17 years 1 month

Thanks for this information guys. I've just reinstalled the whole lot including SP 1 and I'll now delete the logbook after each flight. I never use it anyway.

I must admit that after the second freeze I've been listing a brief note of all my flights in a completely separate folder, so at least I've got something. I still don't trust it so I'll continue to 'save' the flights separately, perhaps in a little more detail so they include the rewards record.

Best wishes

John Y

Member for

17 years 1 month

FSX instability

Hi

It's just happened again. FSX just wouldn't open and the Logbook was empty, not only in FSX itself but deleted from the My Documents folder too!

I don't think it's the logbook. I think it's the whole Pilot Records folder perhaps or something entirely different.

At least this time I was able to end the program, restart the computer, put in disc number 1 and reinstall using the repair option. Now it works just fine again and I think SP1 is also working. At any rate, it's still in the programs list but how would you know? To be honest, I'm not sure I've been able to tell the difference even before this latest spot of bother.

How PC Pilot can say SP1 helps to increase performance upwards of 20 - 40%I don't know. It still seems to me to take a hell of a long time to open! Plus, I've still got the same frame rates (around 20) and the bars far more left than right, so what really does it do, or perhaps I should ask; 'what's it done that we haven't had before?'

I'm moanin'' again I know but this could have been such a great flight simulator. I'll probably be dead before they iron the bugs out and produce a graphics card that can allow stronger settings. But then again, I don't want to return to using FS9. Does that make sense?

John Y