WW 1 sim -for free

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 2 months

This is my first post here and so, Hello all, and Happy new year!!
Today i bought PCPilot which i found interesting. I am a sometime civilian PC Pilot, though mostly combat.
In the magazine today was a heads-up piece re a forthcoming Russian WW1 sim due out end of next year.
The WW1 enthusiasts among you may wish to know that JUST RELEASED this month is a WW 1 sim called Over flanders Field.

It is a stand alone add on using CFS3 as a base. It is light years ahead of CFS3 in quality. In fact, it is the best sim i have ever flown , and so I thought PC Pilot should know about it.

The best news is that IT IS FREE. You need only to download it, if you have CFS3 already. It uses the latest trackIR as written about in PC Pilot this issue.

See the forums at Simhq.com and SimOuthouse for full info.

cheers

Original post

Member for

20 years

Welcome Fortiesboy! Interesting news. It sounds like a nice newyears gift. I think I'll go and download it now.

Greets,

Stieglitz

Member for

24 years 2 months

A little more clue as to where to find it might be useful. (Or am I being dim) EDIT, I was. It's here http://off.oldbrowndog.net/ It's now on my mchine, but isn't installing for some reason :(

The awful CFS3 has languished on my HDD from about a week after it was launched, it would be nice to find a use for it, though doubtless there's fifty or sixty patches to be applied first.

Moggy

Member for

18 years 2 months

Moggy C--S!

There are only a handful of people having problems with installation. Please see the OFF forum at Sim Outhouse - good stickys especially about install.
There are small but important provisos.
1. Clean install of CFS3. If it has been installed before make sure it is fully uninstalled.
2. Patch CFS3 using 3.1 and 3.1a patches- See SOH for those.
3. Important - after patching, CFS3 MUST be run once .It doesn't matter what it looks like etc just so long as you run it once.
Fail to do this and there are problems.
4. Now install OFF using the read me. There are some subsequent patches which are incremental - See the Over Flanders Field website.
Like you, I thought CFS3 was Yuck and i didn't get it because it had no ability to use trackir and I wasn't impressed with other things, BUT this OFF uses its own scenery/terrain -no blurring even on the ground- It is a different sim completely.
Read the readme carefully- It is not complicated . The install is one click installer stuff, then some initialising stages well explained
in the readme.
May be worthwhile reading the FAQ at www.polovski.com
Best of luck

Member for

24 years 2 months

Hmmm,

Not even sure I know where my CFS3 discs are. Probably have to pick up another copy off e-bay.

Are you sure it is worth it?

Moggy

Member for

18 years 2 months

Hmmm,

Not even sure I know where my CFS3 discs are. Probably have to pick up another copy off e-bay.

Are you sure it is worth it?

Moggy

Am I sure? I'm biased. I haven't played anything else since 19 december!!
I have F4,FB,BOB,Strike fighters, FS2004,Red baron, CFS3,
OK- I'll have a look back at them no doubt, but NONE is as good a sim as OFF.

Have a read of the forums at SimHQ; Sim outhouse. Almost every thread in praise of this.

If wary of buying CFS3, why not persuade a mate living nearby who has got CFS3 to lend it while you try it. -(But there are so few of us, nearest to me is in the next County! )
then you will know it's worth it.
In the meantime read the FAQ at www.polovski.com to avoid install problems.
Follow simple instructions and there are no problems. Miss a simple step, and there may be. But that's the same for any software,yes? However, this is simpler than most to install.