xp service pack problems ?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 9 months

O.K having read a few other posts in this and other forums i get the impression that it was amistake to install this.

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas to solve the following problems i got as a result of the black day i suffered after download.

squawkbox won't connect to Vatsim, whichever servewr i try use. Says port in use ? how do i change it, can;t find anywhere to alter it ? Firewall is set to let it do so but to no avail ......... please help me .

can i just uninstall the service pack ?

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

I have noticed that patches and service packs are listed in the uninstall programs part of windows control panel. If you cant uninstall it there, its format time.

Member for

19 years 9 months

i have seen it on the uninstall list, and i dont wanna go down the format route if i can help it. Unfortunatly i only have an OEM version of windows so Microsoft won't help me And my man in the know isnt sure of the ramifications of uninstalling it.

Member for

23 years 8 months

It is possible the Windows Firewall is blocking the ports VATSIM needs to use.

Look in the Firewall settings

WM

Member for

19 years 9 months

Thanks wm, i tried that it says it isnt. i have just spent all day reinstalling everything and also found some trojan horses on my system, so i'm hoping that when i try it tomorrow it will be ok

Member for

24 years 3 months

adwwebber - email me on andrew @ group-flight.org as i am quite sure i know what problem is but too complicated to go through on forum