FS on Windows 8

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Does Flight Sim work OK on Windows 8 or 8.1? I'm getting a new computer soon and I would be happy if I could run FS on it.

Original post

I don't see why it shouldn't work, as Windows does have a backward compatibility capability.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Pop this into that well known search engine and read the results. flight sim on windows 8.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Pop this into that well known search engine and read the results. flight sim on windows 8.

I have, and it returns mixed results. I was wanting to know if anyone on here had any experience of running Fs on 8.

I don't have windows 8 on any of my machines yet, fortunately or unfortunately. The developers were bragging about how superior 8 is to 7, but that is their opinion.

Member for

24 years 2 months

If it is help to you - I have had a PC running windows 7 pro since December last year after an upgrade due to my old machine being knackered.
I also needed a PC that could run an old money programme and all my external add-ons too, no drivers for these anymore.

Asked in PC store for advice and was told that W7 pro could cope with most XP programmes not all, and it also had the capability of running in XP mode.

Now, most of the big stores only run W8 on all their gaming units in the UK which is why I opted for a shop to build my unit with an OEM version of W7 pro.

XP support runs out on the 8 April this year and there was talk that the MS support might stay until 2020 for W7.

It is not only the programmes you want to run on W8 but the sticks, yokes and pedals to think of too - yours or new ones?

Good luck.

Member for

15 years 1 month

I have FS2004 running nicely on Windows 8.1 (64 bit version).
Loads of extra aircraft addons, VFR Photo Scenery, etc.

I saw a hint (don't remember where or when!) about NOT installing in the 'default' location (i.e. Program Files) so I put mine onto an external hard drive that I only connect when doing sim-related tasks, e.g. FLYING ! . Because this drive is a bit "old :(" and not USB3, the sim takes a bit longer to load than it did on my previous Windows XP (lost in a mammoth PC crash!). A proper separate hard disk should improve things (if I can open the piggy bank) :)
Replacement PC came with Win 8 installed - upgraded to Windows 8.1 - it mashed up a few of my drivers, etc, but caused no problems with FS2004.

I don't have FSX so I can't comment on that from personal experience, but it shouldn't be a problem. Hope this helps.

P.S. My Extreme 3D Pro joystick and my oldish CH Flight Yoke also work great!

Member for

24 years 2 months

Thanks! My new PC is Windows 8.1 64 bit (I too had XP wiped out by a massive crash and used Linux instead for a while!) I will have to remember the tip about not installing to the default location. I always liked the look of FS2004 but with 2002 running like a dream on my old computer I never got round to getting the next release of FS.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Pleased that all is working fine.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I saw FSX on Amazon for a good price, and now it's installed on my computer. It seems fine so far, no crashes or other problems I've read about. I'm just happy to have FS again, now I need to get more planes and scenery.