Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FS on Windows 8

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Comet
    Belgian Beer Expert
    • Jan 2000

FS on Windows 8

Does Flight Sim work OK on Windows 8 or 8.1? I'm getting a new computer soon and I would be happy if I could run FS on it.
    2009 - the first year without any flights, the first year I lost a holiday, the first and last year I book the bloody Eurostar
    Louise
  • 27vet
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Nov 2009

I don't see why it shouldn't work, as Windows does have a backward compatibility capability.
    sigpicHindsight is what you see from the tailgunner's position...

Comment

• pimpernel
      Warbirds, keep em flying
      • Jan 2000

Pop this into that well known search engine and read the results. flight sim on windows 8.
      Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy.

Comment

• Comet
        Belgian Beer Expert
        • Jan 2000

Originally posted by pimpernel View Post
        Pop this into that well known search engine and read the results. flight sim on windows 8.
        I have, and it returns mixed results. I was wanting to know if anyone on here had any experience of running Fs on 8.
        2009 - the first year without any flights, the first year I lost a holiday, the first and last year I book the bloody Eurostar
        Louise

Comment

• 27vet
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Nov 2009

I don't have windows 8 on any of my machines yet, fortunately or unfortunately. The developers were bragging about how superior 8 is to 7, but that is their opinion.
          sigpicHindsight is what you see from the tailgunner's position...

Comment

• pimpernel
            Warbirds, keep em flying
            • Jan 2000

If it is help to you - I have had a PC running windows 7 pro since December last year after an upgrade due to my old machine being knackered.
            I also needed a PC that could run an old money programme and all my external add-ons too, no drivers for these anymore.

Asked in PC store for advice and was told that W7 pro could cope with most XP programmes not all, and it also had the capability of running in XP mode.

Now, most of the big stores only run W8 on all their gaming units in the UK which is why I opted for a shop to build my unit with an OEM version of W7 pro.

XP support runs out on the 8 April this year and there was talk that the MS support might stay until 2020 for W7.

It is not only the programmes you want to run on W8 but the sticks, yokes and pedals to think of too - yours or new ones?

Good luck.

Comment

• davecurnock
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Feb 2009

I have FS2004 running nicely on Windows 8.1 (64 bit version).
              Loads of extra aircraft addons, VFR Photo Scenery, etc.

I saw a hint (don't remember where or when!) about NOT installing in the 'default' location (i.e. Program Files) so I put mine onto an external hard drive that I only connect when doing sim-related tasks, e.g. FLYING ! . Because this drive is a bit "old " and not USB3, the sim takes a bit longer to load than it did on my previous Windows XP (lost in a mammoth PC crash!). A proper separate hard disk should improve things (if I can open the piggy bank)
              Replacement PC came with Win 8 installed - upgraded to Windows 8.1 - it mashed up a few of my drivers, etc, but caused no problems with FS2004.

I don't have FSX so I can't comment on that from personal experience, but it shouldn't be a problem. Hope this helps.

P.S. My Extreme 3D Pro joystick and my oldish CH Flight Yoke also work great!
              Last edited by davecurnock; 26th January 2014, 19:53. Reason: Forgot to mention controls.
              David
              Grumpy since 1939!
              (AND I now have a friend!)

Comment

• Comet
                Belgian Beer Expert
                • Jan 2000

Thanks! My new PC is Windows 8.1 64 bit (I too had XP wiped out by a massive crash and used Linux instead for a while!) I will have to remember the tip about not installing to the default location. I always liked the look of FS2004 but with 2002 running like a dream on my old computer I never got round to getting the next release of FS.
                Louise

Comment

• pimpernel
                  Warbirds, keep em flying
                  • Jan 2000

Pleased that all is working fine.

Comment

• Comet
                    Belgian Beer Expert
                    • Jan 2000

I saw FSX on Amazon for a good price, and now it's installed on my computer. It seems fine so far, no crashes or other problems I've read about. I'm just happy to have FS again, now I need to get more planes and scenery.
                    Louise

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                    X