Wings of Prey

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 9 months

What do you guys think of the WW2 flight sim Wings of Prey? I think the graphics detail is incredibly good. These are screenshots I took on a low end computer I recently bought with a 2.6ghz Celeron and GT520 graphics card and as you can see the game runs perfect at 1680 x 1050

Attachments
Original post

Member for

14 years 2 months

Impressive - how good is the artificial intelligence and missions?

Member for

15 years 9 months

Impressive - how good is the artificial intelligence and missions?

The missions are pretty much similar to what you get in CFS3 or Forgotten Battles. I was really disappointed to see that to fly missions with german and late war aircraft you have to buy as an add-on to the game. The flight handling in this game has a more realistic feel, although Im not really that knowledgeable on flight sims, Im sure there are others here who could comment better on the quality of this sim.

Member for

20 years 8 months

I have this on the X-Box 360, and graphically it is very impressive, although some of the aircraft models could be improved upon slightly (the Spitfire fin flash colours, for example).

I was disappointed that the German aircraft don't seem to have cockpits modelled for them, while all the others did. A "lesser" game, Air Conflicts - Secret Wars, had pretty impressive visuals for all of its aircraft, although the movements of the control surfaces were not modelled at all.

What I also did not like was the "realistic" setting for the flight controls. This made even a plane like the Hurricane or the Spitfire nigh-on impossible to fly without stalling and spinning in.

Apart from that, a very good game all round.

Member for

13 years 6 months

I had this to review some time ago. It's pretty eyeball candy and it's infuriating that Cliffs over Dover could not better this or Rise of Flight for that matter. I found the whole thing to be... simplistic and unengaging. That said, I am used to hardcore sims such as IL-2 and would suggest that Wings of Prey is best suited to a sim newcomer, or better yet, the console player ala Hawx and so on.

I uninstalled it in quick succession and moved on. Did the same for Silent Hunter 5 and Cliffs over Dover. :mad:

Jay

Member for

13 years 4 months

I've been playing this on and off on the PC for the past few weeks. It's not a hardcore sim and is definetly aimed at arcade play although it's possible to play it in simluator mode only the boost guages and blind flying panel are actually animated (and the ASI in RAF aircraft display knots even though the dial faces are MPH!).

The single player campaign and single mission set up leaves a lot to be desired, the AI is both terrible and supllied with homing ammunition and the missions themselves are extremely poorly balanced, some can only be completed in arcade mode.

That said, the terrain is beautiful but covers only a small area, ie "Hellfire Corner" with just 3 airfields Manston Hawkinge and Lympne, the latter bizarrely has a guard tower and a pillbox blocking one end of the runway making t/o and landings difficult.

It's a brilliant knock-about arcade game, especially when played online with friends but its not really a good sim.