Edinburgh SID?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 11 months

Just put in a route using Route Finder for EGPH - ESGG and it came up with the following route: EGPH SID TRN UP14 SAB UL983 CUTEL UT55 TINAC UT138 AAL UN607 BAK STAR ESGG

Could someone tell me why the SID is directing me to the west when I intend heading East, surely it should have used the "Grice" SID? Any suggestions for good online route finders?

Original post

Member for

20 years 8 months

The Turnberry 6D/5C is the correct SID for this departure because it is the only one that connects the airway to your routing, if you look at a map you will see a direct routing would be East/North East, the GRICE SID will take you North, once at GRICE there is no airway connecting across the North Sea to Scandinavia until you get up to Aberdeen, and even then the airway will take you back SE towards the one you should have been on in the first place.

In real life expect the TRN SID to be cancelled after Noise Abatement and you given a direct routing to SAINT ABBS VOR

Dean

Member for

13 years 11 months

Thanks Deano, just found it strange that you would head west adding around 60nm to the route when you could just head East via RWY06. I assume you would start the climb to say FL300 after passing transition altitude at TRN?

Member for

20 years 8 months

You wouldn't actually get that far, like I said after Noise Abatement you would "most likely" be given a direct routing to SAINT ABBS.

Edit: As it happens I have actually found the correct procedure in my charts. For a SAINT ABBS departure this is what you will do:

RWY06: Climb straight ahead, at 640ft or I-VG 0.5 DME whichever is later, turn left, track 045°, then at I-VG 7DME turn right to SAB

RWY24: Climb straight ahead to UW, turn left to SAB. Noise preferential route terminates above 3,000ft

Hope this helps

Dean

Member for

13 years 11 months

Cheers mate, I'll input this into the FMC tonight and see how it goes.

Member for

13 years 11 months

Deano, I can see I-VG 0.5 DME on the SID chart, but can't see I-VG 7DME. I assume 7DME is 7nm from RWY06, what does the "I-VG" part mean?

You wouldn't actually get that far, like I said after Noise Abatement you would "most likely" be given a direct routing to SAINT ABBS.

Edit: As it happens I have actually found the correct procedure in my charts. For a SAINT ABBS departure this is what you will do:

RWY06: Climb straight ahead, at 640ft or I-VG 0.5 DME whichever is later, turn left, track 045°, then at I-VG 7DME turn right to SAB

RWY24: Climb straight ahead to UW, turn left to SAB. Noise preferential route terminates above 3,000ft

Hope this helps

Dean

Member for

20 years 8 months

IVG is the ILS for rwy06, it is the Morse Ident code for the ILS.

Tune 108.90 into your Nav1 and then IDENT it, you should here this

../...-/--. (which is I-VG in morse code)

Because it is a co-located ILS/DME you should get a DME readout on your HSI or Nav screen, so basically it is saying climb on a track, (that's track, not heading) of 045° until 7DME off the ILS (Rwy06), then turn right to SAB

Hope this helps

Dean

Member for

13 years 11 months

Flew the route last night in the EMB ERJ170 and it worked a treat. Thanks.