LHR - HKG - TPE return

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 5 months

I travel out to Tawian via Hong Kong on average 5 times a year and have just got back, so please excuse spellings etc.

11/7/09 - LHR - HKG Cathay Pacific CX250, 747-400 18.20 dep

Flight left nearly two hours late as the plane needed some maintenance and then there wasn't a gate prepared for it. T3 was its usual chaotic self, thanks to online check in i could arrive fairly late! Cathay were their efficient self and the flight was smooth and comfortable. The new economy seats have taken a bit of a slating as the seats themselve do not recline - the cushion base and backrest slide instead. If like me you're short, its not a problem, but tall people seemed to really suffer! The catering was excellent and was the IFE, with a great selection of films, TV shows and music.

The flight arrived at Hong Kong at13.50, leaving me 35 minutes to make my connecting flight. It would be really tight as i would have to pass through the transit area (always busy in Hong Kong) then get from gate 4 to gate 56...

Luckily Cathay had already rebooked myself (and others in the same situation) onto later flights and issued me with new boarding passes for my flight to Taipei.

12/7/09 HKG - TPE CX510 A330 dep 14.55

The flight was fully booked as per usual on the service, mainly with Chinese nationals travelling back and forth on the 90 minute flight. The Airbus had more traditional seating but for comfort alone I prefer the Boeing seats as the Airbus ones are hard and quite narrow. Following the usual departure from Hong Kong, which is always spectacular, we were served with a snack - a warm sandwich, juice, biscuit and coffee which is more than enough on a short flight. Taipei airports runway always seems rough after Hong Kong, and there were a few gasps as the plane touched down. The airport itself is old but efficient and because of favourable winds I only arrived 30 minutes late overall.

16/7/09 TPE - HKG CX531 777 dep 20.20
I used the online check service again and by bags were checked through to LHR by friendly groundstaff. The flight was uneventful and a snack was served, another warm sandwich, this time being filled with tuna and onion. The transfer information for Hong Kong was given via the IFE, but unfortunately HKG changed both the transfer point and the boarding gate number, but with almost 2 hours between flights it really didnt matter too much.

16/7/09 HKG - LHR CX251 747 - 400 dep 23.55
I was seated in row 66 in a window seat, which is the first of the two seat rows as the plane tapers towards the rear. this means that you get a useful extra space between the seat and the fuselage for hand baggage etc. As it was a late night departure, following take off supper was served, comprising salad starter, beef casserole, plus a fuit dessert and coffee. I dint bother with the IFE as i had had long working days and nights in Taiwan! After getting some good sleep, I turned the IFE on and followed the moving map whcih estmated arrival time at LHR as 05.08, alomst 40 minutes ahead of schedule. this proved very accurate and following a straighforward approach up the Thames Estuary and over central London, we actually landed at 05.06! Following a lengthy walk to Arrivals and Baggage reclaim, I was pleased when my bag was one of the first to arrive on the carousel.

The whole journey was pain free, which is why I have always used Cathay Pacific. Also, if booked in advance on a restricted ticket, the return flight can be as little as £500. However, I intend to try out another carier when I go out again in October. My company suggest EVA Air, but I'm not too sure about them. Does anyone have and feedback on EVA? good or bad...

Original post

Member for

17 years

Good report. Would have been nice to see some pictures, but understand its not always possible to get them. I hear good things about Cathay Pacific and look forward to flying them someday. I dont have any info regarding EVA air. No doubt someone here will be able to help you on that front.

Member for

20 years 11 months

Not a bad report ...but a few pictures would have enhanced it more

Member for

15 years 5 months

Not a bad report ...but a few pictures would have enhanced it more

Agreed 100%. As I travel out on this route regularly I will take some next time. Due to flight times / rushing around at HKG meant it wouldnt have been easy this time.

TPE is interesting for unusual Airlines etc - lots of EVA and Cathay of course, plus China Eastern, Air Macau etc.

Thanks for your comments.