LHR-GVA Trip Report

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years

OK, not the world's most exciting flight, but I thought you'd all appreciate a brief report anyway.
I used BA for this service and Flight 736 took off about twenty minutes late at 1810 on the evening of Sunday April 29, which wasn't bad at all given the dreadful weather conditions. The aircraft itself was a generic A321, a competent machine but not in the least bit exciting.
The flight itself was uneventful and, at 90 minutes' duration, was little more than an aerial bus service. A drink and a snack consisting of crisp-type things was provided. All I could say about the service was that one small drink is not enough on an aircraft and I wish BA would refrain from serving thimble-sized cans of coke which do little to alleviate dehydration. Other airlines I have flown on serve normal-sized cans and I can tell you that to this particular passenger, it makes quite a difference to the flying experience.
The only other observation - something I have seen on every BA flight I have taken - was the condition of the aircraft. The cabin was very tired-looking and the toilets were in a dreadful state, with no water fountain where one might make up for the Coke mouthful one is granted. I've seen this on short and long-haul BA flights and it is rather off-putting.
I'm completing the return flight on Wednesday and will report on that on my return. My overall impression for now is that BA is very tired and needs a radical overhaul of its corporate image, better aircraft and an enhanced in-flight service product.

Original post

Member for

11 years 11 months

Do you mean GVA (Geneva) rather than GNV?

Shame to hear that BA is not keeping up the aircraft interior.

Member for

16 years

Yes, Geneva.
I didn't realise the code was GVA.
:confused:

Member for

16 years

OK. The return trip.

Much the same as travelling out, though the aircraft was in slightly better shape. Timing and punctuality were excellent and the drink situation a little better, but that was mainly because I took my own bottle of Coke on board.

Perhaps when the A380 comes on stream, BA will look at upgrading its corporate image a little.

Member for

12 years 8 months

Interesting how we all percieve things differently.

I really rate BA and appreciate the choice of cabins and their differentiation. If I want 'an aerial bus service' (on short flights) I book economy, if I want more (longer flights) I book business. If I travel by bus or train for 90 minutes I don't expect to be fed or watered, what is it about flying I wonder?

I travelled around Europe on business for 20 years or more and found small can's to be the norm, maybe things have changed since. I know in the US big cans are the norm but they seldom give you the whole thing, usually pouring a glass instead.

As for water fountains, have you ever tasted water from an aircraft tank? Truly, do yourself a favour, buy a bottle of water in the airport.

I agree with you that BA's cabins are generally tired but I have to wonder how exciting you want an aircraft cabin to be?

Member for

16 years

Flying is usually tedious and a pleasant-looking and fresh aircraft cabin does give one a little lift.
BA cabins are simply the identikit blue leather seats and blue-flecked carpet that they have been for twenty years or more. Given that these cabins are often worse for wear (worn seat upholstery/yellowed toilet seats/cabin luggage bin doors that can't close properly because they have been bent out of shape), the overall impression is of an airline that, quite frankly, could try a little harder in this area.
It is a shame, because BA is a very good airline in all other respects. I haven't suffered a delay with them for over ten years.

Member for

18 years 6 months

Just out of interest, how were the crew on each of your flights?

When I am travelling, it's all about the people that serve me that takes priority over anything else, and although I refrain from using BA myself, I did wonder with BA's new "To Fly. To Serve" slogan if they were any good, but you did not really mention anything about them?

I agree with what you say about the drinks...thimble-sized cans are not good; even EasyJet offer a full-sized can, and although they do charge you £1.75 for it, I didn't begrudge paying them that much when I flew with them to/from Tenerife last week because I had managed to make a bit of a saving on the total cost of the flights...I paid £331 in total for two people, inc. Speedy Boardng, and yet BA wanted £375pp and that involved a 4hr layover in MAD on each journey!:D

Thanks for the report mrtotty. :)

Member for

16 years

Just out of interest, how were the crew on each of your flights?:D

The crew, typically according to my experience, were fine. They didn't have a huge amount to do, but the service was good enough. Only being a short flight, it was rather perfunctory.

That said, like the aircraft themselves, BA's crew uniforms probably need an overhaul.