Boeing 777

Read the forum code of contact

Does anyone know if the 777 is going to have the folding wings? I've heard some talk of this a while back, but i've never seen one with this option.

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: Boeing 777

I think folding wings are an option but none of the 777 customers haven't wanted it. Maybe there is enough room at the gates after all...

As I understand it the 777 fits a standard widebody gate dimension. The reason for the folding outer wing was to accommodate 777s (plural) together at smaller airports when used on "thin" routes. This hasn't really featured in airline planning as the 767/757/A330 do the job and who wants to buy extra weight and engineering when it isn't needed?

I understand that it was considered by some of the majors, but the costs involved were high, and the strength and rigidity requirements of the wing made it economically un-viable to do. Hope that helps

Tailwinds

Member for

24 years 3 months

The 777 had an option of folding wings but till know no one has it. It was supposed to be for smaller and cramped airports. I am not sure but i think...only think Cathay Pacific 777s a few of them have folding wings. Not sure