American Airlines ( as in IN the US )

Read the forum code of contact

Hi there, I am interested in your ideas on the current state of airlines in the US. It seems to me that there are many smaller operators such as American West and Frontier to name a few, but it looks like the larger companies are miles ahead in fleet size and so on. Is this becoming a bit rediculous? Please give me your thoughts!
Father Bob

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

RE: American Airlines ( as in IN the US )

Hi,
know why do you call this ridiculuous?? Yes airlines like United and all have monopoly in USA and i think these small airlines are very useful. DOnt forget 40% of the world air traffic is in USA. These airlines must be offering better rates than other majour airlines. And remember all these majour airlines can end up like TWA and Pan Am. So these small airlines maybe tommorows majour airlines.

Kabir

Member for

24 years 2 months

The large airlines are probably more affected by things like soaring fuel prices and US economy. If the airlines has to raise ticket prices it will affect on much large amount of passengers, even worldwide. If these small operators do the right thing(which I don't know what it is), they will be able to offer the same service to their passengers even through bad times.
Probably the most vulnerable airlines are the start-ups which haven't had the time to get enough capital.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I was sad to see TWA been eaten up by AA, but it must be said that TWA was in decline for years. TWA and Pan Am were the great carriers of the US and I'm not the only one that is sad to see both names disappear.

American and United seem to be on a meglomaniacal quest to take control of anyone who gets in their way. They already operate hundreds of aircraft each and have an unfair monopoly at many US airports. How much longer will the likes of Continental last before they are gobbled up?