flights to Australia

Read the forum code of contact

Hey guys, can anybody tell me who are best to fly with from the Uk to Australia? Quantus, BA, Garuda etc? Also, is it best to stop over somewhere? and where should I do that?
I'd appreciate your input, thanks guys
BobbyB

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

RE: flights to Australia

LAST EDITED ON 25-Jan-01 AT 07:34 PM (GMT)[p]Whatever you do, DON'T go with Garuda. You will be liable to about four stops and Garuda frequently make drastic schedule changes at the last minuite which result in lengthy 1, 2 or 3 night stops in god knows where. They are cheap, but I would not reccomend it. I used to work in travel you see, so I know that this is true. I would reccommend Singapore airlines as I have been to Melbourne with them, but I would especially recommend Emirates. If you buy in advance they are cheap and are a good airline. For stopover though, you could consider a BA/QF codeshare fare with which you could combine an outward flight via the US and a return via Asia. This is not as pricey as you think. If you want further advice, I would recommend contacting my former employers whom you can reach at www.airnet.co.uk. Also, contrary to what people might say, don't book at the last minuite as it will cost you MORE money as the scheduled airlines only have limited seats at their low consolidated prices. 'Cancellations' don't exist with these airlines as any seats cancelled at the last minute will be upsold to one of their published fares. Anyone who says different is talking b######s!!!!!!!!!!! Paul.

Member for

24 years 2 months

LAST EDITED ON 25-Jan-01 AT 07:35 PM (GMT)[p]...Oh yeah and another thing, I would RECCOMMEND stopping over somewhere, it does'nt usually cost anything extra on the ticket and the airline can usually sort you with cheap accomodation as part of the deal. I did the full monty via Singapore without a stop, and 36 hours doorstep to doorstep Wigan - Melbourne isn't too great I can tell you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul....

Ok...I will recommend that u stop somewhere and dont make a mistake travelling with Garuda. Take BA, Qantas, Emirates. I think stopping is a good idea unless you want your body to end up as a log.

QANTAS

Q ueensland
A nd
N orthern
T erritory
A ir
S ervices
I don't know where U get it from :o

Member for

24 years 2 months

LAST EDITED ON 30-Jan-01 AT 09:53 PM (GMT)[p]Take BA, thet do unexpected stops on the Samoas, (technical reason), and people get a free night on the beach, in a paradisiac island! ;-)

qantas the only way to go via bankock or singapore to melbourne dont go to sydney or u will never get here. dont listen to paul melbourne could eat up and spit sydney out.

Give Royal Brunei a shot. Their flights are cheap, Bandar Seri Begawan makes for a great one or two stopover, and their service is quite good.

But of course, BI would only be an option if you are flying to Perth, Brisbane, or Darwin.

If Sydney or Melbourne is your destination, go with Malaysia Airlines.

I find that the best route to Australia is via Los Angeles, for some reason there is less jet lag flying that way. Air New Zealand can get you from Heathrow to Sydney with a stop in LA, or you could fly with BA from LHR to LAX and then fly on with Qantas. It's a superb route. I flew from LA to SYD through the night so there was less disturbance from sunlight etc, and I landed in the morning and did not suffer from jet lag.