last MD 11

Read the forum code of contact

The last MD 11 was rolled out yesterday. I think it was a marvelous aircraft. Very comfortable and all. The Boeing people gave it a nice good bye function. It went to SAir. I think that MD 11 must be very lucky to recieve such an honour.

Kabir

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

RE: last MD 11

Who or what is SAir?

I thought it went to Lufthansa cargo??????

Member for

24 years 2 months

Well, I also did hear it was going to LH cargo, but the main point here is that this was the last in a long line of classic aircraft.

OK, not many MD-11's were built if you compare it to other types from the Boeing and Airbus fold, but the MD-11 was a new generation DC-10, and quite a few of those were built. The DC-10 was a classic, no doubt about it.

I didn't like the MD-11 as much as the '10 because it looked too long, but I still liked it. It is a shame to see the last MD-11 for another reason too....The fact that this could well be the end of the tri-jet era. The TriStar has gone, the smaller 727 has gone, the TU-154 is at the end of it's production life. I'll miss them all.

Sorry...it was Lufthansa cargo.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I wonder why it didn't became so popular among airliners? As a trijet, it doesn't have to follow ETOPS and so it could compete with the 747 and 340, maybe these are just better planes from operators point of view.

Well succes or not it was a very comfy jet. For some airlines like Swissair it was there backbone. I think it was one of the first or the first to have winglets?