Boeing shelves Super Jumbo 747X

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 4 months

Aerospace giant Boeing has confirmed it is ditching plans to build a 747X super jumbo effectively handing victory to its European rival Airbus. The decision leaves the way clear for the 550 seat Airbus A380 to replace the 747 as the world's largest commercial passenger jet when it enters service in 2004.
Boeing now plans to develop a long-range aircraft capable of travelling at high altitudes and meeting tough noise control measures. Its decision comes after customers failed to place a single order for the 747X, which would have added about 100 seats and more flight range to the current model 747-400. By comparison, Airbus has received 66 orders for the double-deck A380 since announcing the tart of production last year.

Sam.

When you are attacked by eight bogeys, the only question to ask is "Which one do I attack first?"

Original post

Member for

24 years 4 months

RE: Boeing shelves Super Jumbo 747X

This is good news for Airbus. But it looks like the proposed new aircraft with its new high speeds and shorter journey time are only going to be offered to people willing to pay a premium for either first or buisiness class. The rest of us in the cheap seats will still be crammed on to the current aircraft which by the time of the predicted launch will be getting rather old.

Member for

24 years 4 months

Is this new aircraft a bit of a gamble on Boeings part?
I agree with the previous post that the seats will have to be aimed at the first or business class market. We've seen a previous attempt at a high speed aircraft in Concorde which only sold 14 aircraft to 2 customers, possibly due to the fact the aircraft would cost more than a 747 for the same flight yet carry only 100 passengers. Although the new aircraft won't go as fast or cost as much, surely there will still be similar problems and the aircraft will only be able to operate on the business routes such as LHR-JFK. I can't see a massive market for this type of aircraft.
what do you all think?

Danny

PS Can't wait for the A380

Member for

24 years 4 months

Boeing has step down from the 747X project because it is planning to pic up the line of smaller jets which go faster, so in short boeing chose speed not size. They are planning the Boeing 20XX, this aircraft will be the size of the Boeing 767 but may travel upto speeds of Mach 2(I will send an artists impression of it soon). While Airbus concentrates on Size Boeing says that people are looking for comforts, but if they will have a jet regularly flying at Mach 2, they will prefer that.

Member for

24 years 4 months

It is good news for both companys really, boeing will not have to fork out all that cash on an aircraft, which is going to sell a maxium of 500 anyway. Airbus they have competition off there back. Well see you all later

Member for

24 years 4 months

I'm glad Boeing have seen the light and shelved the 747X. I always thought they should concentrate on a totally new design. How any manufacturer can keep updating a thirty year old design whilst the competition is working on a brand new design is beyond me. Now matter how new the systems within the 747X are, it doesn't disguise the fact that the design is dated beyond belief.

Member for

24 years 4 months

Boieng´s philosofy was always: If the classic things work, why should be rejected". For years they have only stretched, shrink or redesign old concepts. The market has always prefered profitabiliy, costs and few innovation. But fortunately this time, this laziness is over and will demand Boeing to rack a bit more their brains to take something really new. Yellowstone jet flying at match 0,95 is not really something too quick but with a fantastic design. It will have regular engines and an improvement in design. Long live innovation.... I am sure now the new versions of Concorde will be approved.