Deep Vein Thrombosis

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Do you think with this recent DVT news that the leg space in economy class should be increased to reduce the chances of suffering with the fatal disease? Do you think airlines tend to fill their aircraft to the brim, without worrying about the safety of their passengers?

Michael Kinghorn

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

RE: Deep Vein Thrombosis

Well I think that it's all a load of crap to be honest. It's true that sitting in an aircraft seat for hours can cause an embolism, but it's easy to get up and go to the toilet, especially on a 747! That's all you need to do. In fact, simply removing shoes for the flight and then moving your ankles every few minuites will do. People annoy me in the press who cause all sorts of problems by calling for more legroom e.t.c. but at the end of the day, they would be the first to complain when the prices go up! It's the same with cabin air recycling: They want cleaner, less recycled air in the cabins but don't want to pay for the extra fuel this would use up. Would anyone agree/disagree???

I'm interested!!

Paul.

Comfort and safety before profit should be the rule rather than the exception ,I myself fly at least twice a year and I find most airlines don't give their economy class passengers enough room to move their arms let alone their legs. Yes ,I think airlines should give more leg room and yes I think airlines do fill their aircraft to the brim .

Member for

24 years 2 months

Well I agree in principle, but are YOU truly in a position to pay a few hundred quid more?

I know I'm not.

Paul.

Deep Vein Thrombosis

Do we know if these DVT incidents were on long haul scheduled flights or on charters. If they were on scheduled flights what chance have the poor charter people got. Personaly I think it has more to do with the health status of the people to start with which the long flights only brings to a head (yes I know it is a leg problem). It seems to me that it is an excuss for certain parts of the media to print these scare stories just to sell papers.

Member for

24 years 2 months

LAST EDITED ON 23-Mar-01 AT 11:46 PM (GMT)[p]Well I think you are quite right. There is a risk in everything we do. At the end of the day, people who this kind of gig happens to might just have a weak constitution or something like that. At the end of the day I would like to see people being made aware of the risks and to have to sign a declaration that they are aware of the risk. personally, I am not prepared to pander to a load of moaning minnies who can't cope with longhaul.... IF YOU CAN'T HACK IT: DON'T GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul.

Member for

24 years 2 months

er, I dunno if you guys read that some of the British Olympic Team in Sydney suffered from DVT.
Having said that, I think the media coverage is OTT. I wa son the BA shuttle from GLA to LHR on Monday, a 50 minute flight, and just before the safety demonstration, the purser reccomended we read the 'well being in the air' section of the inflight magazine.
I then connected to a LX MD-80 for LHR BSL, and found that I couldn't move my right knee, as it was wedged against the seat in front.There's certainly a case for a bit more leg room, but there's no point exagerating it.

Member for

24 years 2 months

When I was a kid, I remember coming back from Spain on one of the old B737 200's that Brittannia had. Even as a 9 year old kid, I rememeber my knees being being stuck firmly into the seat in front. Did anyone complain? Did anyone collapse? No! Ok it's not ideal, but we all want cheap flights don't we? Considering the ammount of people that fly each day, can anyone say what percentage get DVT. I bet it's incalculable in the sense that it's about 0.001%. Therefore, I stick to my opinion that it's just a load of hot air. Anyway, how come military aircrew never suffer from this? I'm sure that a navigator stuffed in the back of a Tornado on a transit to Goose bay would be much more at risk. Immobile, and strapped into an uncomfy ejector seat... you'd think he'd be a prime candidate would'nt you???

Paul.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Is it me or has the press gone quiet about DVT now that they have foot and mouth to write about.