Spectator viewing

Read the forum code of contact

As one who finds the viewing areas at some airports somewhat poor. Can all of you out there do an online survey and send in your views and opinions of your experiences of the facilities at the airports you have been to not just in this country but around the world. Lets see if we can praise the good airports and shame the "not so good". Let see if we can get them to realise that there are lots of us out here, who if given somewhere half decent are willing to pay a little bit to use these places. They might even find they make a bit of money out of us.
To start thing off with my good votes go to Birmingham (UK), Manchester for keeping somewhere through all the rebuilding going on and airside at Geneve for the view across the runway.

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

RE: Spectator viewing

Leeds/Bradford Airport has a cafe which has windows facing the runways. You get a good view of aircraft on them. Unfortunately, the cafe is too far North to be able to get a good view of aircraft parked on the Apron whilst unloading etc. Around the airport perimeter however, there is a much better situation. At the end of Runway 32/start of RWY 14 there is a car park for approximately 15 cars. It is always crowded, as it provides a good view of aircraft departing on RWY 32 and also aircraft turning round at the end of the runway ready for departure on RWY 14. There is also a hill to the West of the airport which has parking facilities and provides a good view of the whole airport. Shame LBA isn't as busy as Manchester!!!

het guys. i think that Newcastle has a very good spectating area on the roof, but with the construction of the new terminal restrictied the view of the international parking areas.

I agree that Manchester has a superb viweing are and is ver impressive and has superb photo opportunities.

For me the Queens building at Heathrow will always be the best. It has excellent facilities and a good view of most of the traffic. Unfortunately, the view is somewhat restricted of the arrivals runway (not sure which one it is!!!)

As for US offerings, I have only seen the inside of Newarks spotting spots when arriving or departing, but they are reasonable. Tetoboro (for those who like biz) is very hard to get to and to see the aircraft in hangars, although you can see plenty of the departures! JFK has very poor spectating areas, and you have to park in a disused garage parking lot to read the regestrations off as they turn on for finals.

Hope they help, only a few of my offerings however (not wanting to be bigheaded)

Thanks

Teesside has very good viewing facilities

1. You go out through the cafe and round the west side of the terminal is a viewing area.... paved as well with high fencing though.

2. On the A67 going from the airport to the east about 1/2 a mile on the right there is a pull in on the side of the road.... excellent spotting.... the aircraft landing on runway 23 come right overhead at about 500-1000 feet.

Enjoy,
Scott

P.S. If there is anybody interested in spotting living in the teesside area please e-mail me at scottpcooper@hotmail.com

Member for

24 years 2 months

Newcastle had a very good one until the terminal was expanded. Now the one they have got is ok, but not nearly as good as the old one.
Manchester has a very good one, as does Heathrow.
Does Prestwick still have its spectator terrace??