Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

so, it's finally officially launched.
what do you all make of it?

Original post

RE: A380

I want one in my garden!

(though I'll have to buy a new garden) :-)

Great plane. Hopefully soon in SN colors

Member for

24 years 2 months

Have you heard the dimensions for the A380??? A length of 241ft, wingspan of 264ft and a height of 80ft!!!! This aircraft is bloody enormous!

I knew it was going to be a big bird, but a 264ft wingspan? Will some airports find that a bit difficult when one of these double deckers is parked up at the gate? Considering that a 747-400 has a span of around 211ft, the A380 is quite a step up in size.

Good to see Virgin putting an order in for them. With Emirates and SIA commiting to the aircraft already, I don't think it will be long until a glut of other major carriers order the aircraft. I used to think it would fail, but I must now eat my words. It looks as if Airbus is onto another winner.

Could this be the swansong for the 747 series? Boeing need to do more than give the aircraft a stretch, no matter how new the 747-X will be, it must be argued that the design is still centered on an aircraft that first flew way back in 1969.

I am surprised at the designation of the A380 too, I thought it would have emerged as the A350. Perhaps Airbus has a few ideas in the pipeline which could become the A350, 360 and 370. Just a thought.

It is also good to see that the A380 project will create up to 22,000 jobs in the aerospace industry. The future is bright, the future is Airbus.

Member for

24 years 2 months

When will the airlines start to sell tickets to A380 flights?
About the plane in the garden - it would look COOL!!!

Would'nt it ???

But... HOW will they carry the parts to Toulouse? Is this plane not too large for the Beluga?

i want to see it in BA colours...very nice sight.
Hey, have any American airlines put orders in???
Thanks and Merry Xmas

Member for

24 years 2 months

Air France, Emirates, International Lease Finance Corporation, Qantas, Singapore Airlines and Virgin Atlantic have ordered A380 so far.

thanks for the info matilainen

Member for

24 years 2 months

hmmmm.....the A380...i think A380 isint a very good name. But still i would like to own this baby;). Singapore Airlines will be the launch customer fr this bird.

Member for

24 years 2 months

The name is probably due that number eight is lucky in the Far Eastern countries and we have to think that these market is essential for the 380. That´s something trivial, but I think the numbers 350, 360, and 370 are kept for other models to be developed in the future.

Well, as you all so rightly state, it IS bloody enormous, and I dare say that the ultimate design will change somewhat between now and first flight - I mean, how many times have we seen the shape of the winglets change in the past few months?

On an additional note, isn't it funny that Boeing reckon there's only a market for about 300 A380s? If this is so, why have they hurriedly announced a stretched (stretching old designs being unusual for Boeing, of course!) 747, codenamed '-X', capable of carrying an equal passenger load? Weird, isn't it?

Member for

24 years 2 months

Hi,
Thinking of a bird like this i think there economy class are going to me nightmares. DOnt u think...500+ people in a plane.

Member for

24 years 2 months

500+ in economy class??? Such a nightmare scenerio exists already. Have you ever flown on a Japan Airlines 747SR?? My advice is DON'T!

Member for

24 years 2 months

I think we have to accept that despite what we have been told about luxurious spacy seating with bars, casions, swimming pools (!) et al, the majority of carriers are going to use the A380 to stuff more and more people into one plane so they can recoup the huge cost of ownership. Economy class is going to be a nightmare!

Member for

24 years 2 months

I don't know what the seating will be but it will be a nightmare indeed, sitting somewhere in the center for 12+ hours enjoying the extra nice economy class cabin service.
I'd like to see what it looks like, for example in the bar, if the plane hits an airpocket...

Federal express ordered them too

If your`e lucky when you are standing at the bar when the plane hits an airpocket,
Your head will crash through the lower-deck ceiling, and you might just see a bit of,
the spacious upper-deck bussiness-class lounge!!!!!!!

One problem though,
Airlines and Airbus have all talked about all of this ##### about having swimming pools, beauty treatment facilitys, shops and more. But what is the effect of this? Well I for one can see the price of air travel rise, oh and even though all of these wil be paid for extra, you will need plenty of cash to be able to afford it. I doubt I could afford the prices that the airlines will want.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Ive heard about these A380's, supposedly having gyms, bars and beds etc. surely it must be hype. Since when have you been on a plane and not been advised to wear your seat belt at all times? Imagine 500 people queing up for the tread mill, and if all that space is lost to entertainment rooms arnt they going to be losing seats, thus bringing the cost of the remaining ones up? I reckon they'll be pretty standard inside. Does anyone know anything factual about them other than measurements?

Member for

24 years 2 months

Check out the Airbus website..

I've heard that the jet wash is so big that it wouldn’t have any effect on the maximum passengers per hour of flight operations e.g. the Fokker F-50 has a 5 miles zone and the Boeing 747 something like 14 miles so I imagine that the A380 would be something like 16 miles at least.

JW

Member for

24 years 2 months

Traveling long haul flights is experiencing innovations. Beds, lounges were considered reduntant when the B747 was put into service (even the upper section was used to put more seats). It seems that all first classes were being replaced by Business-First, but Air France had the fantastic idea of setting almost beds and the situation changed. Now we are seeing constant changes in noble classes, even so rare as Virgin ideas. The A380 will bring new possibilities if they can keep the operation with only 500 quite profitable. Can you imagine operating costs lower then on a B747 an extra space for luxuries?. Of course some companies will cramp seats, but many will offer radical ideas in the plane. Passengers are demanding more space, no more Economy class syndromes and even are willing to pay more for a change.